CHAPTER THREE

Amy-Jean didn't end up crying. She supposed her tear ducts had ceased working just like the majority of her other body functions.

She was strangely calm as the peacekeepers escorted her into the Justice Building. It was like, okay, now I know how I'm going to die. No more secrets. No more thinking about it.

They pointed her towards a small room and she was more or less shoved in as the door closed behind her.

Amy-Jean awkwardly stood in the centre of the room as she assessed her surroundings. There was no furniture save for a small end table with a vase of flowers and the carpet was extremely faded.

Two large window took up most of the space on the wall opposite the door which overlooked the vast fields in which a sizeable flock of sheep grazed obliviously on the grass.

Amy-Jean sighed and took a couple of steps forward. Her hand rose to rest on the cold glass as she overlooked the sheep who didn't have a worry in the world, that was until they were slaughtered for some posh capitol residents to feast on.

The irony was immense.

It must have been a few minutes of distracted silence because she was snapped out of her thoughts when she heard the knob on her door twisting and opening.

She heard a peacekeeper from outside speaking gruffly, "You only have two minutes."

Amy-Jean averted her gaze from the fields and whipped her head around to be instantly greeted by a bone-crushing hug. Startled Amy-Jean blinked rapidly.

"Amy-Jean." Lynn whispered softly into her hair, "You're a strong girl. There's a chance for you." Finally, Lynn released the slightly shaky Amy-Jean and she could now see everyone that was assembled behind her.

Cal, Max, Brandon and even Clara looked immensely worried and shocked. Danny looked rather disappointing and the rest were confused.

Lynn gripped her tightly by the shoulders and stared her intensely in the eyes.

"You need to hide." She said urgently, "Find a knife, avoid drawing attention to yourself and don't trust anyone." Sighing, she pulled Amy-Jean in for one last hug and exhaled deeply, Amy-Jean spotted her watery eyes but didn't say anything.

Lynn eventually let her go and Amy-Jean found herself hugging Cal next.

She wrapped her arms around him tightly and tried to refrain from crying on her friend she had been with since infancy. Apparently he had similar thoughts as she felt her hair getting slightly wet. They pulled back and she saw his teary face which pushed her over the edge as she sniffled, wiping a few tears from the corners of her eyes.

Cal shook her gently by her arms as she looked at her seriously, "You have to come back AJ.", he said in a bitter and sad tone, "You're my best friend, I can't lose you."

Amy-Jean tried to smile and sniffed her tears away, "I'll do my best." She promised him, but her insides twisted as she spoke, knowing the chances of her winning were remarkably low.

Next she embraced Brandon who has also started crying, his big brown eyes red and puffy as he wrapped his arms around her shoulders being taller than her despite the age difference. He looked at her with his large eyes and softly spoke, "Come back to us AJ." He said sincerely and once again Amy-Jean found herself making a promise she couldn't keep even if she wanted to.

Surprisingly, Clara approached her too and wordlessly gave her a swift hug before acknowledging with a very serious expression, "You can hide." She said solemnly, "And you're smart."

Amy-Jean felt her heart pounding loudly as she nodded, blood rushing to her head.

Danny practically launched himself at her and she almost chuckled slightly, staggering back a bit before returning his hug. Danny tugged slightly at her hair as she too began crying, his freckles scrunched up.