[short] No Return

Even though the sun shone bright and the sky was as clear as possible on Coruscant, everything seemed somehow dull and sallow to the bearded human.

That day Obi-Wan stood on the landing platform of the Jedi temple, nervously waiting for his former padawan to return, a hint of fear clearly visible in his eyes.
His chest was aching as he saw the brown-haired men walking jauntyly towards him. With unsteady steps the Jedi master approached, until he was within hearing range.

"Anakin...", he began softly.

But addressed didn't listen to him at all. "No, the best part was when this slimu got hit right in the face you should've seen it!", he declared splendidly, laughing.
Obi-Wan became sick to his stomach.
"Anakin", he tried again to get the younger jedi's attention, this time more certain, although his heart was racing and lagging at the same time, his knees felt about to buckle any second. Yet useless.
"I bet our Commander would have loved to join this pleasure as well, General", Rex responded smiling, it made Kenobi's heart shatter. He had to tell them. Now.
"Oh she would've loved it. I'm sure she's gonna be furious when I tell her, I'll immediately go looking-"

"Anakin!", the Jedi now got louder, so his friend would finally hear him out. "I'm afraid you can't do that" His voice almost disappeared at the last words.

The one with brown, tousled hair turned his head towards his mentor, foolishly believing he's just aiming at that whole uncivilized stuff again.
"Oh c'mon Master, Ahsoka's-"
"Dead."

Abrupt silence.

"W-what?", Anakin stuttered.

"Ahsoka is dead.", Obi-Wan repeated, way more composed than he actually was.

"Y- you're kidding, right?", the man laughed it off, unbelieving.

His counterpart lowered his head in mourning.

"Say you're kidding, it's just a terrible joke!", he screamed. But the older one didn't make any attempt to take his words back.
Anakin's eyes widened, terrified, as his former master slowly shook his head. "I'm sorry"

Without another word he rushed past him, running through the shady corridors of the temple, hoping, wishing, begging - expecting - for Ahsoka to be in her quarters.
But as the door slid open, there was just a dark, stifling room waiting for him to confirm Obi-Wan's words.

Tremulous he touched the force where the force signature of his Padawan used to be. A tremendous coldness dashed him.

"Ahsoka...", her Master aspirated.

But she couldn't hear him.
She was gone.

⭑✶⭑

Obi-Wan slowly stepped into the doorway, his former padawan kneeling in his grandpadawan's emty quarters.

"What happened to her"
Anakins voice was lacking emotions, but his bitterness was clearly to feel through the force.

"She was sent on a mission with Master Plo Koon"
He wasn't able to put emotion in his words either. "Please don't blame him, he's beating himself up enough as it is."
Oh, Anakin wasn't thinking about that. He already found himself to blame.

"Why was she even going, I left her home to continue her studies and calm down after some energy-sapping battles" He clenched his teeth in frustrated anger.

For some time it stayed quiet.

Then Obi-Wan spoke up again, although hesitantly. "Curb you anger, Anakin, it's not your fault"

"Oh, and whose fault is it?" The Jedi wheeled around in a huff. He could be felt deeply upset through the force.

"It's not anybody's fault", the older Jedi calmly stated. It only made his rage increase.

"Well she didn't just die on a whim!", the man shouted, glaring louringly at his former master.
"Certainly not", Obi-Wan started to raise his voice now. After all, he was suffering, too. That's when he noticed tears draining down his face. He tried to calm himself.

"She was supposed to set the bombs right", slowly the words escaped his mouth, his throat feeling as if not a single drop water would have touched it in months. "But as one front fell, there was a huge explosion spreading across the place and reaching out for her position and-", his voice stumbled, "she couldn't get away fast enough as the conflagration-"

"You're telling me she burned dead alive in an inferno?" Anakin now seemed completely distressed.
Obi-Wan cocked his head to the side, looking at the young man out of narrowed, tear-filled eyes. With a barely perceptible shake of his head, he cast aside misgivings, stepped forward, knelt down and embraced his friend. The younger broke out in suppressed crys, as the older one couldn't help himself but quietly sob.

They had both lost a precious humanly being, whose bright force signature always had radiated light, no matter how strong the presence of the dark side had been. Who always seemed to be lighthearted, despite herself growing up in and aging fast due to this terrible war.

Now they had to find a way to live without her. But they'd at least still have each other to hold themselves. For that moment, Anakin clasped Obi-Wans back, as the door slid close and gave the two Jedi some time to grieve.