S01E03 - Winning a Battle, Losing a War

Meredith: "We live out our lives on the surgical unit. Seven days a week, 14h a day. We're together more than we're apart. After a while the ways of residency become the ways of life. Number one: Always keep score. Number two: Do whatever you can to outsmart the other guy. Number three: Don't make friends with the enemy. Oh, and yeah, Number four: Everything, Everything is a competition. Whoever said winning wasn't everything never held a scalpel."

________________________

Cristina: "Oh, it's like candy but with blood, which is so much better."

George: "Mr. Mackie... No smoking! There's no smoking."
Mr. Mackie: "Why not?"
George: "Oh my god! You're in a hospital."
Mr. Mackie: "Your point being...?"
George: "I don't know if you've listened to the surgeon general lately, say, in the past 20 years, but smoking is bad. Smoking will kill you."
Mr. Mackie: "Liver cancer will kill me. Smoking will just speed up the process."

Meredith: "What do you want?"
Derek: "You make out with patients now?"
Meredith: "What, are you jealous?"
Derek: "I don't get jealous."
Meredith: "We had sex, once."
Derek: "And we kissed in an elevator."
Meredith: "And we kissed in an elevator, once."
Derek: "No, seriously. Go out with me."
Meredith: "No."
Derek: "You know, I almost died today. Yeah, I came like, this close. How would you feel if I died and you didn't get a chance to go out with me?"
Meredith: "Get over yourself already."
Derek: "Come on."
Meredith: "It's the chase, isn't it?"
Derek: "What?"
Meredith: "The thrill of the chase. I've been wondering to myself, 'Why are you so hell-bent on getting me to go out with you'? You know you're my boss, you know it's against the rules, you know I keep saying no. It's the chase."
Derek: "Well, it's fun, isn't it?"
Meredith: "You see? This is a game to you. But not to me. Because, unlike you, I still have something to prove."

Alex: "What are you doing?"
George: "Hiding. There's this VIP-patient... he likes me."
Alex: "That's good, right?"
George: "He 'likes me' likes me."
Alex: "Go for it, man. Get yours. I'm down with the rainbow. Oh. Are you not gay?"
George: "No!"
Alex: "Really? Dude, sorry."
(Alex leaves, Cristina and Izzie come up)
George: "Eh, Cristina? Do you... Do you think... Does Meredith think I'm gay?"
Cristina: "Are you?"
George: "No!"
Cristina: "Really?"

Meredith: "We are so going to hell. Burke is sending us straight to hell."
Cristina: "On an express train."
Izzie: "It works."
Alex: "What are you doing?"
M,C & I: "Nothing!!!"
Cristina as Burke turns around to them: "Oh crap."

Meredith: "You have got to be kidding me! OK, I have more important things to deal with than you! I have roommates, and boy problems, and family problems. You wanna act like a little frat-boy bitch? That's fine! You wanna take credit for your saves, and everybody else's? That's fine, too. Just stay outta my face! And for the record, you smell like crap!"
Alex to Derek: "She attacked me."
(Meredith running up to Alex again, Derek holding her back)
Derek: "Meredith! Meredith!"
Derek to Alex: "You might want to leave, before I change my mind, and let her beat you to pulp with her tiny, ineffectual fists."
Derek to Meredith: "What?"
Meredith: "Nothing. It's just... Nothing."

Meredith: "They're everywhere. All the time. Izzie's all perky and George does this thing where he's helpful and considerate. They share food and they say things, and they move things and they breathe. They're, like, happy."
Cristina: "Kick them out."
Meredith: "I can't kick them out, they just moved in. I asked them to move in."
Cristina: "So, what? You're gonna repress everything in some deep, dark, twisted place until one day you snap and kill them?"
Meredith: "Yep."
Cristina: "This is why we are friends."

Dr. Bailey: "What are you doing?"
Cristina: "I'm not a people person."
Dr. Bailey: "No kidding."

Derek: "It's not the chase."
Meredith: "What?"
Derek: "You and me. It's not the thrill of the chase. It's not a game. It's... It's your tiny ineffectual fists. And your hair."
Meredith: "My hair?"
Derek: "It smells good. And you're very, very bossy. Keeps me in line."
Meredith: "I'm still not going out with you."
Derek: "You say that now."

___________________________

Meredith: "There's another way to survive this competition. A way no one ever seems to tell you about. One you have to learn for yourself. Number five: It's not about the race. At all. There are no winners or losers. Victories are counted by the number of lives saved. And, once in a while, if you're smart, the life you save could be your own."