S01E07 - The Self-Destruct Button

"OK. Anyone who says you can sleep when you die, tell them to come talk to me after a few months as an intern. Of course, it's not just the job, that keeps us up all night. I mean, if life's so hard already, why do we bring more trouble down on ourselves? What's up with the need to hit the self-destruct button? 

_________________________________________

Meredith: "Yikes, wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley."
Cristina: "Right back at you."
Izzie: "A run? You run?"
Alex: "Every day, babe, every day."
Meredith: "Not suffering enough?"
Alex: "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
Cristina: "Don't go acting all indefatigable, Karev. You're dragging like the rest of us."
Alex: "Oh, what is that? Professional weakness, Dr. Yang?"
Cristina: "It's called the flu."

Dr. Bailey: "I assume the lady needs her keys to leave this guy's sorry ass behind."
Izzie: "Yeah."
Dr. Bailey: "Well, help her out."
Izzie: "He needs a bronchoscopy."
Dr. Bailey: "See one, do one, teach one. You've seen one, it's time to do one."
Izzie: "Alone? Seriously? Thanks! I mean, the vote of confidence in my skills and all. I didn't think anyone was noticing how hard I've been working..."
Dr. Bailey: "Izzie..."
Izzie: "Yeah?"
Dr. Bailey: "Go."

Dr. Burke: "You remember this guy?"
Dr. Bailey: "Hey, the tattooed masochist."
Dr. Burke: "Had himself shot again."
Dr. Bailey: "Glad to see he's still stupid."

Meredith: "Look, I'll mop the floors, ok? Sorry, that was inappropriate."
Dr. Bailey: "It's not the only thing that's inappropriate. While we're on the subject, you care to tell me what you think you're doing?"
Meredith: "Look, I'll jump through your hoops if you want me to. But what I do when I leave this hospital is my business."
Dr. Bailey: "Half this hospital knows your business. Flu isn't the only virus spreading around here."
Meredith: "I made a choice and I know you don't respect me for that choice. But I'll live with the consequences."
Dr. Bailey: "Then I'll have lots of hoops for you to jump through."
Meredith: "I've done everything you've asked me to do. I may not do it your way, but it gets done. So whatever else you got, bring it on."

Meredith: "I need a shower."
Dr. Bailey: "I need a shower. You need to go tell that girl's parents what kind of kid they're getting back."
Meredith: "You're not gonna let me shower first?"
Dr. Bailey: "That would be a hoop, would it not?"
Meredith: "It would qualify."
Dr. Bailey: "Shower first then."

Dr. Bailey: "Dr. Shepherd needs an intern in surgery. Which one of you is clear to go?"
Cristina: "Where do you want me?"
Dr. Bailey: "You need to lie down somewhere."
Cristina: "I'm fine. I'm completely healthy."
Dr. Bailey: "Grey?"
Izzie: "Ugh. Of course."
Meredith: "What is your problem?"
Izzie: "Um, you! 'Cause apparently you can help Dr. McDreamy in ways the rest of us can't."
Meredith: "You didn't not just s..."
Izzie: "Yes, I did!"
Dr. Bailey: "Hey! Hemispherectomy in OR 1 with Dr. Shepherd. Go." (Cristina leaves for the OR. Izzie storms out the room too.) 
Dr. Bailey: "Apparently, I'm not the only one with hoops."

Meredith: "Claire will never eat normally again."
Claire's dad: "Ok, wait, do...? How do we help her here?"
Meredith: "Well, getting proper nutrition will be a lifelong problem for Claire."
Claire's mom: "Great. As if we already don't have our hands full with her."
Meredith: "She gets good grades. She stays out of trouble. She's smart. I just think she feels like nothing she does is good enough for you."
Claire's mom: "If you somehow think that I'm responsible for this..."
Meredith: "I think Claire is killing herself to please you."
Claire's mom: "Oh, please. You have no idea what's going on in that girl's mind."
Meredith: "You're her mother. She worships the ground you walk on. She didn't do this for herself."
Claire's mom: "I think that this situation is completely..."
Claire's dad: "Tina... Shut up."

Derek: "You saw me leave the house this morning, didn't you?"
George: "Oh, was that you?"
Derek: "Hmm. I'm not using her. And I don't favor her."
George: "She's pretty great, you know?"
Derek: "Mh-hmm."

Meredith: "You don't know this yet, but life isn't supposed to be like this. It's not supposed to be this hard."

Meredith: "So you know?"
Izzie: "I know."
Well, do you want the long, sordid version or d'you want the short version, where I started sleeping with a guy who turned out to be my boss?"
Izzie: "Neither."
Meredith: "Izzie, cut me some slack here."
Izzie: "No. You went to Dartmouth. Your mother is Ellis Grey. You grew up... Look at this house! You know, you walk into the OR and there isn't anyone who doubts that you should be there. I grew up in a trailer park. I went to state school. I put myself through med-school by posing in my underwear. You know, I walk into the OR and everyone hopes I'm the nurse. Y-you have their respect without even trying, and you're throwing it away, for what? A few good surgeries?"
Meredith: "No. It's not about the surgeries. It's not about getting ahead. 
Izzie: "Then what? A little hot sex? You're willing to ruin your credibility over that? I mean, Meredith, what the hell are you doing?"
(Meredith rolls her eyes)
Izzie: "Oh my god. You're falling for him."
Meredith: "I am not."
Izzie: "Oh, you so are."
Meredith: "No, I'm not."
Izzie: "You so are. Damn it, you poor girl."
Meredith: "You know, it's just that, he's just so... And I'm just... I'm having a hard time."
Izzie: "Wow, you're all, uh.., mushy and warm and... full of secret feelings."
Meredith: "I hate you. And your cake!"
Izzie: "My cake is good."

_________________________________________

"Maybe we like the pain. Maybe we're wired that way. Because without it, I don't know... Maybe we just wouldn't feel real. What's that saying? 'Why do I keep hitting myself with a hammer?' Because it feels so good when I stop."