Chapter 2

26 September 1998 - 6 Days after the New Moon

Draco's thoughts are still back at the Shrieking Shack when he sees something approaching from seemingly nowhere. It looks to be... imaginary. There is certainly no way that what he sees is real, and for a brief moment, he accepts that he has finally gone insane.

He has to wonder, would they allow him the comfort of St Mungos, or would he simply be shipped off to Azkaban?

He freezes where he is on the path from Hogsmeade to Hogwarts, and watches as the vision moves closer and closer to him, until eventually, the runner is only a few paces away. He thinks she might stop, even slightly fears it, but instead, she just keeps running, except - to his horror-

She had grinned at him, then thrown him a wink as she ran by. He had been unable to stop himself and his whole body whipped around to watch her. He knows, as he watches her run away, that this cannot possibly be real. Granger had definitely not just winked at him.

His eyes run down her body, barely clad in any fabric at all. What she is wearing has to be entirely Muggle, as he has never seen such things in the Wizarding World before. Her legs are only halfway covered in fabric that is so tight, he can see the entire curve of her backside, and the shoes on her feet are colorful.

His gaze moves up, and he can see her middle, completely bare. So much skin, skin no man should ever be allowed to see, to enjoy...

He notices her hair, finally, and it's all Granger. It's twisted into some sort of bun, but the mass of curls is clearly fighting against whatever is holding it up. It doesn't look like her, without the halo of hair all around, but he can tell, just like her magic, it seems ready to explode.

She reaches the very edge of the Forbidden Forest, and he nearly turns to continue on his walk towards the school, knowing that he will be unable to see her if she continues on. Something tells him to wait, however, and he watches as she runs around the very first tree, back towards him. He is nearly paralyzed, unable to move, just watching as she approaches.

He should have left, when she had passed him earlier. Now, though, she can see that he has not moved, has instead been watching him. There's no way to just turn and walk away. If he does so, she'll know that he is avoiding her.

There's no escape.

He thinks, for a moment, about drawing his wand to defend himself, but it feels as though there is no point - he doesn't even see a wand on her, but he knows she's dangerous. Everything about Hermione Granger screams predator. She is the hunter. He would have no chance if she decides to take him out.

Whatever it is she wants, there's no running away.

She stops in front of him, and her arms wrap around her middle, almost awkwardly, as she stares him in the eyes... and then slowly smiles.

It's not creepy... which honestly creeps him out. It's more... friendly?

"Where are you headed?" she asks, as though it would be perfectly normal for her to ask about his plans.

He blinks, considering the question, not even certain how to answer other than with the truth. "Back to the school."

She rolls her eyes, but the smile doesn't leave her lips as one hand moves to hang down at her side. He can't help but to look at notice which arm it is - it's covered, entirely, with a long sleeve. The other sleeve is missing.

"I could have guessed that," she says, half laughing to herself. "I guess I should have asked, where are you on your way back from?"

He stares at her, trying to understand the game, the play, but her eyes are big and wide, honest. He treats that in kind, giving her the honesty she is freely expressing with her face.