10 - The Imposter Emos

Breathing loud in the constricting tunnel, Sam crawled as fast as he could, his sword banging into him as he moved. He'd forgotten to sheathe it before entering the hole. He heard scuffling behind him and increased his pace.

He saw light up ahead and crawled the last few feet, emerging in the basement. Raj and Marcus were already standing there, swords out defensively as Sam stood up, staggering away from the entrance. His roommates looked bruised and disheveled, and he probably didn't look any better.

Within a minute, Cate climbed out of the tunnel, followed closely by the Grim Reaper. After a final jab back with his scythe, he slammed the access hatch shut and locked it, Cate blasting it with her magic to keep it secured shut.

"What were those things?" Marcus demanded as the deathly siblings turned to face them.

"Restless Dead," the Grim Reaper said. "They never found closure with a burial, so they do stuff like that. It's why you should always make sure you hold a proper burial for your loved ones, to make sure that doesn't happen at the next family reunion."

"I think that's enough for one night," Cate said, with a glance at her brother. "I'll take you three home. Get some sleep, and remember, Sam, you have to meet your sister in the morning."

[----]

At eleven the following morning, Sam, Marcus, and Raj stood outside the coffee shop Brianna had selected to meet in, the loud black sign announcing the Black Coffee Café instantly making Sam wish he didn't have to go inside. He knew exactly what this place was.

"Is that all they sell?" Raj wondered.

Marcus shook his head. "No, it's just part of the emo illusion. This reeks of MCR and FOB." He grinned at Sam. "Good luck, man."

"I thought you said your sister wasn't an emo anymore," Raj said with a frown.

"I said she was a recovering emo," Sam grumbled. "I never said she was a cured one." With a sigh, he marched inside, pushing open the door. He knew Raj and Marcus were going to retreat across the street, to wait for him outside the restaurant opposite.

Loud music blasted from the speakers, filling the café with an early Fall Out Boy song. The chairs were all crafted from black metal, the benches along the walls covered with dark fabric. Posters from all sorts of bands littered the wall, reminding Sam of Brianna's bedroom walls back home. Only some of the kids looked like emos; most of them, including Brianna, were emos in disguise – in other words, not sticking out.

Brianna waved to Sam from over by the counter. "Sammy! I already ordered for you. Since you always drink the same thing anyway." She pushed a caramel latte at him as she sucked on the straw of a caramel frappe. A love of caramel in coffee was one thing the Walker siblings shared. "Let's find a seat."

Sam and Brianna took a seat at one of the tables, Sam sipping from his latte. Brianna brushed a strand of her brown hair behind her ear and looked at Sam like he was fragile. "So...how has everything been?"

The knowledge zapped Sam's brain. Why hadn't he seen this earlier? "This is why you wanted to see me!" he hissed. "To check up on me!"

"Of course," Brianna answered defensively. "Your best friend was just murdered, Sam! Mom and Dad asked me to check up on you. They're worried, and so am I."

"If you were worried, you wouldn't have dragged me to an emo café," Sam hissed.

Exasperated, Brianna threw up her hands. "Okay, whatever. Leave, I'll tell Mom and Dad you're still a pain."

Sam sighed. "Sorry, Bri. I'm just...you know I prefer Billy Joel to emo."

"There aren't any Billy Joel cafés," Brianna replied archly.