Waiting Game

"Promise you won't tell mom or dad?" Callie whispered. She looked scared.
"Yes. What is it?" Brandon said annoyed while he rubbed his eyes.
"I saw mom kissing someone else the day of my dance concert" Callie whispered.
"What really?? She cheated!" Brandon was shocked. He never thought his mom would do something like this.
"Yes" Callie looked down sad.
"Who did she kiss?" Brandon said as he thought about it some more.
"It was Ms. Adams" Callie said hesitantly. She didn't know how he would react.
"What?! No way" he looked at her with wide eyes.
Callie's lip started to quiver as she nodded.
"What does this mean?" She said quietly.
"I don't believe you" he shook his head as he scooted back.
"Why?"
"Mom wouldn't kiss a girl! That's the principal!"
Brandon was defiant and chose not to believe things he didn't like.
"She did" a tear fell from her eye as she looked at him.
"Do you have proof? Maybe you saw it wrong?" Brandon said trying to be more nice.
"No, I know what I saw. I'm not stupid" she said standing up.
"Whatever Callie. Just go to sleep and we'll talk about this tomorrow. I mean, if it was true mom would tell us" Brandon said laying down.
Callie crossed her arms and headed out and back to her room. She wanted to lay on he bed and cry but instead she decided to go to sleep. There was no use in trying to find out stuff. She knew soon enough her mom would tell them and they would find out the truth.
"Can I come?" Lena asked. They had been talking on the phone for a few hours and Mike still wasn't answering her calls or arrived back. He even left his keys and car at home.
"Okay" they hung up. Stef went to check on Callie and Brandon. She slowly opened their doors to see them both laying down sleeping.
She smiled and was glad they weren't aware of the current situation. Lena arrived shortly after.
"Come here" she said as she opened her arms. Stef felt safe in her embrace.
"Thank you so much for coming over" stef said while tears filled her eyes.
"Of course. For you, anything" Lena smiled and Stef gave her a warm smile in return.
They sat in the living room on the couch.
"Do you what some tea?" Stef asked.
"Nah. I'm not a big caffeine drinker"
"Oh really? Well I am" Stef chuckled.
"But thank you for the offer. So, how is Callie doing?" Lena said. They had been discussing Mike almost all night and she decided to give Stef a break from thinking about what he could possibly be doing away from home all night.
"She's good. We had a girls night and watched a movie. She's handling it better than I thought"
"That's great to hear. And what about Brandon? Is he doing good?"
"Yes, he's been great he actually has been doing really well. I am thinking about putting him in some sort of after school program just so he's more involved in the school"
"I think that's a greta idea! I heard he plays the piano and does well in that class. What about he join band or theater?" Lena suggested.
"Actually that's a great idea. I think I'll mention those and see what he likes best" Stef nodded as she took a sip of tea.
They talked more about their kids and started to talk about their favorite shows and movies.
"Oh my god" Lena laughed.
"That is like the worst movie ever" Stef laughed back. She had almost forgot about the situation she was in for the moment. Talking with lena was therapeutic for her.
She leaned in and Lena did the same. They both closed their eyes as Lena gently moved her hands over the sides of her face and hair. They moved their lips closer and stopped when they heard someone coming down the stairs. They immediately sat back and Stef cleared her throat.
Brandon slowly came around the steps and stopped when he saw Lena. He shyly gave her a half smile.
"Hi" she said

"You know Ms. Adams right B? We're just having important adult conversations. Is everything ok?" Stef tried her best to explain. She opened her arms so he could come over with them.
Brandon gave Stef a hug and sat on her lap. He looked over at Lena awkwardly. In that moment he knew his sister was right and what she saw was correct.
She gave him a kiss,
"Is everything alright B?" She rubbed his leg.
"Yes, I just heard a noise" he said slouching down.
Stef wrapped her arms around him and Lena smiled at the sight.
"Well, it is getting pretty late. I think I'll head out. It was a great talk we had Stef" Lena said getting up.
"Yes of course here B let me go tuck you in. Then I'll come and say bye" she said and Lena nodded.
She walked brandon up to his room and he layed down in his bed.
"I love you. Get some sleep" Stef said as she covered him.
"Love you" he said and she headed back down with Lena.
"Sorry" she said sheepishly.
"It's ok" Lena chuckled as she gave her a hug. She figured the kids didn't know about their secret 'relationship' going on and didn't want to make things worse between everyone. She couldn't wait till she was officially separated so she could spend more time together with Stef and hopefully be open with her kids soon. It was all starting to seem tangible.
"Thank you for today"
"No, thank you. I needed this. Let me know when Mike comes back home and I'm proud of you for telling him that today" Lena said as she leaned closer. Their lips met again and they finally kissed. After a few seconds they pulled back.
"See you" Stef said grabbing onto Lena's hand as she opened the door and Lena left to her car. Now it was the waiting game again. Waiting to see when Mike came back and Stef knew her decision was right based on this moment. His actions were loud and she wanted nothing to do with it anymore.
It was now 3 am and Stef was sleeping in bed. She heard slamming downstairs and knew he was probably back now.
Her door swung open and Mike drunkenly walked towards the bathroom.
"Seriously?" Stef said rolling her eyes.
"Wwhat?" Mike slurred as he used the restroom.
"We're done. I'm not sleeping in here with you tonight. And I already made an appointment tomorrow with the divorce attorney" Stef said. She knew Mike could barely understand what she was saying but he will once he sobers up through the night.
Stef grabbed a blanket and pillow and walked out to go sleep on the couch.
Just then Callie walked out from the bathroom holding her stomach.
"Awe love you okay?" Stef opened her arm and Callie went in for a hug.
"No" she said trying not to let tears fall.
"My stomach is cramping again and where are you going?" She said noticing Stef had her blankets.
"Oh uh, I'm just going to sleep downstairs today ok?" She tried to not say too much.
"Are you and dad fighting?"
"We're just not getting along too well lately but it will be ok. I promise" Stef said touching her hair.
"No it's not. Your getting a divorce aren't you?" Callie said frowning.
"Umm.. I'll talk to you and Brandon both about what's going on soon" Stef said not wanting to tell her this way.
"Fine" Callie looked really sad.
"Come on let's get you some medicine. Wanna sleep with me the rest of the night?" Stef suggested.
Callie nodded as they headed downstairs.
She set up a spot on the couch and after getting Callie a pain pill they layed down together. She already felt so much better being next to her mom. It was a long night but things were finally starting to calm down.