Love

Stef sat at her mirror listening to music and applying some light makeup for the day. Lena had invited her to a nice picnic at the park. This feeling was new and exciting. What clothes she should wear, what her hair should look like. She always thought that butterflies in your stomach feeling was fake, but now she believed it.
The twins were out today with their friends so the house seemed quiet.

Flashback

"Please mommy please" Brandon said making a pout face. They were at the mall shopping when they came across a pet adoption store.
"I think not. We already have so much chaos as it is at home. We don't need more" Stef laughed.
"Daddy, please?" Callie said looking at Mike.
"You heard you're mom" Mike said shrugging.

The memory gave her an idea.
Maybe we should get a dog now, she thought while finishing up her hair. It would be a good surprise for the kids and would make them feel better about this whole transition.
Just then she heard a knock on the door. She looked down at her watch,
"20 minutes early" she said confused.
She went downstairs and opened the door,
"You're e-" she said smiling then immediately dropping the expression when she saw her mom standing at the door.
"Surprised? Since when did we become a family that never speaks to each other for this long it's been months" Sharon shook her head letting herself in. Stef was just glad she was alone and not with Frank.
"Look, I am sorry but right now I am not in the mood to talk or hear a lecture" Stef said putting her hands in her pockets.
"Not going to I just wanted to chat. Mike called a few days ago. Said you two are separated. How has that been going?" She said raising her eyebrows and sitting down on a stool at the dinner table.
"Actually it's been fine. Everything is going smooth" Stef nodded.
"Hmm smooth. With two children" Sharon said under her breath,
"are you going somewhere?" She said louder noticing Stef attire and makeup.
"Actually, uh yeah I was going somewhere. The twins are at their friends houses and I had the day free so" she said awkwardly hoping her mother didn't ask any more questions. She tried to keep composure and ignore her mothers remarks.
"Is it a date?"
"Mother please. It is none of your business right now. And it won't be until I feel the need to share it with you" Stef said snapping back annoyed.
"Geez okay. It's been two seconds and you've already moved on from decades of love" "Mom please stop"
"How could you just ruin your marriage like this Stephanie? You have two beautiful kids and-"
"I don't wanna hear it"
"I'm just saying that you ended it for what? Some drinking? Mike was crying just about and that poor man never cries you know that. You could have just gone to counseling for god sake" Sharon said standing up.
"You don't know how he was in the house with the kids. I couldn't live like that anymore. Marriage should be a team and we weren't a team" Stef said getting angry.
"Nothing a little counseling couldn't fix as I said. You just had to bring divorce and ruin those poor kids" Sharon shook her head and rolled her eyes.
"I did what was best. This was for the best and you should leave now" Stef said opening the door and gesturing for her mom to exit.
"You seriously think that?"
"You don't know everything mother!" Stef yelled.
"What don't I know? I know everything about you please" Sharon scoffed.
"I'm a lesbian! Okay I am a lesbian!" Stef yelled out. A rush of fear fell over her. She did not think she would be coming out to her mother today.
"A lesbian?" Sharon answered. Her expression dropped now and seemed emotionless.
"Yes"
Sharon sighed then walked towards the door without saying anything,
"Tell Brandon and Callie I said hi. Keep your kids in mind. I will call you later" she said exiting.
"The kids are just fine" Stef closed the door. She couldn't help but feel her mother didn't take it seriously. She must think she was having a midlife crisis or going through a phase. She knew her mom would tell Frank. Her mother was more accepting even though she didn't quite understand. She knew she would come around but her dad, an old fashioned Christian man, was more stubborn and didn't ever see past his beliefs. Even if it meant disowning his own daughter.
She turned off her phone after texting her kids to contact Lena if they needed anything because her 'phone died'. She wanted today to be relaxing.
"Stef? Is everything okay?" Lena said letting herself in a few moments later. She had called Stef about 5 times and texted her. Until she just decided to use the spare key.
"Ohh yeah I'm sorry I must have been distracted" she said rubbing her forhead.
"What's going on?" Lena placed her purse down and sat to listen.
"My mother stopped by without warning and I basically had to tell her everything. Including that I'm a lesbian and I had to listen to how much I destroyed my marriage and my children's lives" Stef sighed.
"You know that's not true" Lena said grabbing her hand.
"I know. I did what I needed to and that's why I told her the truth. Continuing my marriage would have been worse for me and the kids" Stef tried not to let her moms words hurt but a part of her still cared and hoped her kids weren't struggling.
"Your kids love you so much. They're strong and will be just fine. I was told the same thing by my mother when I split with Monte. Now two years later, Frankie is happier than ever, doing great in school and I don't regret anything. I am so proud of you" Lena said stroking Stef's hand.
"Thank you... I love you" Stef leaned in to kiss her,
"I love you too" Lena said locking her lips as she ran her fingers through her hair.