Two Moms

"So does this mean my mom is gay?" Brandon said shuffling in his seat.
"Lesbian" Fankie spoke up quickly.
"Well, I think if you want to know that is something to ask your mom. Labels don't really matter, as long as you love someone" Lena tried to explain and he nodded.
"Ok. It's weird but I like it. Because you are the principal and it means step mom" Brandon said smiling.
"Two moms is the best to have" Frankie said happy. Lena found it funny how Stef and her relationship was still fairly new but the kids spoke like they were already married. Lesbians do move fast and Lena felt almost as if they've know each other for years. The kids probably pick up on that feeling too.
Outside Callie and Stef were sitting on the swing in silence.
"So, what are you thinking my love?" Stef said touching Callie's arm.
She shrugged looking down,
"It's weird" she said playing with her fingers.
Stef was scared she might think this. She might think it was weird that she was a lesbian.
"You know, I should have talked to you about what it means to be gay more and that families look different. Some families have a mom and a dad but some have two moms, two dads. And they're all beautiful in their own way" Stef said smiling as she ran her hand through her daughters hair.
"I know what gay is" Callie looked up quickly at her mom.
"Oh okay. Good. And I want you to know that I am gay. The proper label for me is lesbian" Stef said more direct.
"I don't care" Callie shook her head quickly. Stef wasn't expecting that response.
"You don't? Does it bother you that I am dating a woman? If it does you can tell me" Stef said in a soft tone.
"No, that doesn't bother me. It is a little weird but it's fine. It's okay to be gay" Callie shrugged again. She did care that her mom was a lesbian but she just didn't want her to feel like she had to keep explaining. It was different for them but a part of her was actually excited.
"Okay, then, why were you crying?"
"I was shocked.. I don't know, I think I didn't know how to react"
"Okay, I understand and that's totally normal to not know how to feel love"
"But it's okay, I think I'll like it" Callie admitted and Stef laughed.
"I think so. Two moms seems fun huh?"
Callie nodded and gave her a hug. She didn't want her to feel like she was judging. Stef smiled with tears in her eyes as she returned the hug. She was glad Callie understood and was okay with it. She was 12 years old who had little to no education on this topic. She knew as time went on Callie will be more accepting towards it and not feel that it is weird.
"Come on let's go back inside" they got up and joined the rest back in the living room.
"So, I think now that we're all here we can have a lunch together outside!" Stef said happily.
"Yes! A party!" Frankie said jumping up.
Lena laughed,
"Sure, a party it is. If that's okay with you two?" She said giving Brandon and Callie a smile.
"Yeah" Callie said smiling back.
"I love to party" Brandon said which made them all laugh.
They spent the rest of the evening ordering food, setting up the table outside then eating and enjoying. They had good conversations and it seemed like the kids got along.

~

"Just one second, Mike is calling" Stef said after they finished their food. She got up from the table and Lena nodded. The kids were playing with the soccer ball and were having a lot of fun in the big backyard. Frankie loved that they had so much space to run.
Stef went inside for more privacy,
"Hey Mike, what's up?'
"Look I know it's your time with the kids but I was hoping we can maybe take some time again on the weekends together.." Mike said hesitantly. He was really hoping she would agree to his plan.
"Okay umm and what do you suggest we do?"
"Look, we haven't been to church in a while and I would really love for the kids, and us, to go back" Mike said and Stef swallowed a nervous lump in her throat.
"I don't know.."
"It was a time where the kids got to see their grandparents all the time and"
"No.. not right now anyway" Stef suddenly grew anxious again. She just told her kids she was gay but had completely forgot about telling her parents about everything. Divorced and a lesbian. That will be one hell of a conversation.
"Why Stef? We have to start feeling normal again and I already mentioned something about the divorce to Frank when he called me up yesterday to check on things"
Stef was surprised they hadn't called her after. They must have been waiting for her to say something.
She knew now that she had to tell them soon. Maybe church would be a good place to meet up and discuss. Or maybe not.
"Give me time to think about it please. We have a lot going on" Stef said rubbing her forehead.
"Okay.. please consider it. This is important for the kids. Talk to you later, bye"
they hung up and Stef took a deep breath. She had conflicting feelings about church now. A place where being herself was not accepted by a lot of the people who attend. She didn't want her kids to learn that being gay was something bad.
"Hi" Frankie said running inside for a drink of water.
"Oh hi" Stef said still shaken up from the conversation.
She didn't want to let this ruin her day. The day she had been waiting for for a long time.
She walked out to see Brandon and Callie sitting and laughing next to each other. Not annoying each other or bickering. These were good times.
"Hey honey, everything good?" Lena said rubbing her back and puckering her lips. Stef placed a small kiss on her lips,
"I'll tell you later, but right now I just want to focus on this. Everything is great. No worries"