Chapter 1

Solana

Tomorrow was the day, the day that I would start the next 2 years of my life at Magicis Viventem Institute. Magicis Viventem Institute was the best school in known existence for Borya like myself, I suppose humans would call it a 'college' in the sense that you attended classes after you finished school, it was a 2 year course from ages 19 - 20, and really just taught you about your powers and what being a Borya meant.

My mother was a human born Borya which meant that she was born a human with Borya powers, I guess you could kind of compare her to muggle-borns from Harry Potter. She was invited to attend the institute after she graduated and she accepted instantly for her powers had always differentiated her from her friends, I knew how she felt though.

In this world, a Borya was what we called humans with magical abilities. Humans often called us Fae or Faerie, well that is the few who actually believed us to be real, but we always rejected that title as it suggested us as evil or mischevious which was not the case for most of us. Of course there was some evil Borya, just like there are some evil humans but the term Fae or Faerie blanketed us under the evil category. 

I had spent the last 12 years living at my grandparents in the human part of the plannet so I could attend a human school, I did this on my mother's wishes. Like my mother, I had never felt like I belonged but she always thought that her years in the human world had made her the person she was...a good person. Of course, my father agreed with her wishes, that man was so in love and as much as it grossed me out, it was nice to see my parents still so in love. My mother had met my father at the institute herself, he was the prince and future king of the domain 'Phoenix.' My father's parents adored my mother, so they accepted their marriage and made my mother the queen which made me the princess.

Of course I had spent every weekend and holiday at Phoenix as I would be the future ruler and I missed my parents. My younger sister stayed with us as well, she was just starting year 7 this year. My younger sister was exactly like my mother whilst I had gotten my father's traits, Tora even had the same power as my mother; the power of animals. I had inherited my father's power of fire. Tora was extremely lovable, she had heaps of friends and just had that aura that everyone adored, in some ways, I was jealous of her ability to fit in wherever she went. Tora and I were extremely close, she was the only one around me that understood what it meant to be different, even though she actually fit in.

Mom, dad and I had just used our teleportation abilities to bring Tora back to the human world so she could attend school tomorrow, I started tomorrow too but I would be living at home as the institute was in the magic part of the plannet.

"I'm gonna miss you Solana," Tora whispers as I help her unpack her stuff into her room. My grandparents and parents were downstairs catching up.

"You'll be fine chickadee, you'll still have all your friends," I smile at my younger sister who had begun tearing up.

"But what if- what if my powers play up, I won't have you to cover for me," Tora whispers as tears begin to fall out of her eyes.

My heart breaks for my baby sister, I walk over to her and pull her into a huge hug; "controlling your powers will come with age, do you know how often I accidentally set things on fire?"

"What did you do?" Tora questions.

"Well chickadee, I calmed down my temper, you don't have a bad temper so your mistakes will be easier to fix as they'll happen on accident and not because of your emotions." I explain.

Tora nods and sniffles before she pulls away.

"Will you call me every day?" Tora questions.

"Of course I will!!" I promise, and I meant every word.