2: Speak of the devil

Cesaro Mizra

                     I sat by my father’s bed; Lydia Phillips, my girlfriend stood between my legs while I hug her waist. Our attention was directed on father who lay with his eyes close with an oxygen mask over his lower face.

He had suffered from myocardial infarction one and a half weeks ago; the doctor had classified it as STEMI. He said his high blood pressure triggered it, and that they had treated him with a low dosage of nitroglycerin given intravenously, which Dr. Brock said would improve the blood supply to his heart and decrease the work the heart must do. Since medicine was not my area of expertise, I did not understand all the medical terms they threw at us, but the doctors were doing their best and father was looking much better than the day I rushed him to the hospital and watch the doctors rushed him to the ICU.

“He looks so fragile,” Lydia whisper trying not to wake the fifty eight years old man.

Instead of answering, I kept my eyes on the old man. I felt responsible for his blood pressure going sky high. He had been demanding me to take over the company for the last three years; instead of doing so, I used those years to travel as much as I could. That’s how I met Lydia.

My parents separated when I was the age of three and finally decide to get a divorce when I became age seven.

             I spent most of my life growing up in New Delhi with my mother, Jane Laurent and visiting father in Amiens, France on holidays. I did not get the experience as what one would describe as the life of a normal child. When I became age thirteen, my parents agreed to send me to a boarding school in England. After which I attended a University in Cambridge, England and after I graduated I traveled for three years. One month ago I visited father in Jamaica where he live during the years I left for boarding school.

Father had tried to persuade me to take over the company, but I refused to and had bought my plane ticket for New Delhi where I would start my business, but seeing father in this condition I had to think the situation through. Three days after father had fallen ill I signed the contract to take over Sea-villa Hotel and Spa, which is also located in five other counties and I had contacted a real estate agent in order to purchase a house.

“I’m going to get you some coffee,” Lydia says, placing a kiss on my cheek. I gave her a firm nod while keeping my eyes on father.

As soon as Lydia closes the private bedroom door, father eyes flutter open. Gingerly removing the mask from his face, he spoke, “I thought that girl would never leave.”

I chuckle lightly at father’s words despite of him struggling to say them. Lydia had never been his favourite. Whenever I would ask him about it, he would reply ‘It is called fathers institution son, that woman is no good for you and you might not realize it until it’s too late’.

“Lydia is a good woman father, but I will not argue with you on this, at least not so soon.”

“Hmm. What’s this I heard about you firing Reina Reigns?” Father says abruptly changing the subject

This man was always so straightforward.

I groan and sit back in my chair while I stare at my old man, who is not at all fragile as Lydia had mentioned. The mention of that name brought back the memories of her at the office one week ago. I was so upset that I
went as far as damaging her reputation in tourism management.

“How did you f—” I paused. By now I should know that nothing went unnoticed by Khan Mirza. The man knew everything as if he had billions of eyes and ears located around every corner of the world.

Instead I say casually, “I found someone who is actually qualified to replace her.”

I watch as he places the mask back on for a couple of seconds before removing it again, “What do you mean ‘actually qualified’?”

I sigh. This is not what I want to talk to father about; especially with him in a hospital bed.

“In her file it states that she is a twenty-two years old, whose only qualification is a highschool diploma. Her passes are decent, but that does not give her a position at SVH. If you had hired her as a member of the cleaning staff, then I would still have fired her.”

Father shakes his head in what I’m assuming is disappointment; much like he did when I had to refuse to take over the company, “I know that despite of what took place during your childhood, your mother and I did not raise you this way.”

I ignore the man before me. He seems to like the impudent female and I did not want to upset him; which would cause him to get worst.

I refuse to look at him, hoping to hide how angry I am. How could father like someone like her, but not like Lydia, who is a good person.

“What changed you son?”

Standing from my seat, I turn my back on my father, “Please father, let’s not go into this right now.”

“Fine, but you need to rehire her. She needs the job.”

I could careless if she needed a job or not, but instead of voicing my thoughts I decide to keep my mouth shut in order not to upset the old man much further. I waited until I was calm, before turning around to acknowledge him. “I have a lunch date with Lydia. I’ll let you rest, father.”

I knew he could tell that I was just using Lydia as an excuse to leave, but he made no comment. Instead of answering he place the mask back over his face and close his eyes as soon as Lydia enters.

I shake my head at my father's immature behaviour. I then directed my attention to Lydia who stood by the door fixing a gold button on her red long sleeve blouse. I rose a brow, giving her a peculiar look, but said nothing. She was gone for over fifteen minutes and—

“I thought you went out to get coffee,” I say while looking at her vacant hands. I look over at father who was only pretending to be asleep. He already dislikes Lydia, therefore I did not want him to hear this conversation and suspect the worst.

Before Lydia could reply I took her hand and drag her from the room, closing the door behind us.

“I did, but they were out and when I was returning I lost my way,” I regard the situation before nodding slowly.

Taking her hand, I lead her out of the hospital and to my Toyota RAV four that was in the parking lot. Lydia has never given me a reason to not trust her and I wouldn’t start now. The hospital was one of the biggest in Jamaica and it was her first time going out on her own here, therefore she was bound to get lost.