28 » all in the presentation

Finn swiped his clammy palms against the stiff material of his slacks. He wished he had a mirror to check his reflection, hoping he didn't look as nervous as he felt. The closest thing that would work was the window of the board room where Seth was currently giving his presentation, but there was no way he was going to look inside that room before it was his turn.

A sharp click clacking on the floor behind him drew his attention. He turned around and spotted Eden striding across the marble floor in a pair of dangerously tall heels.

Finn would never understand how girls could walk on heels as thin as chopsticks, but Eden made it look effortless. Then his eyes traveled up, and his breath caught in his throat. She wore a plum-colored blouse tucked into a form-fitting pencil skirt, gold jewelry dangling at her throat and ears against the deeper golden hue of her skin.

Every time he thought she couldn't be more beautiful, she proved him wrong yet again. He wanted to say something to her, but between his imminent presentation, and his thoughts swirling around what Kieran had suggested at practice, his emotions were in turmoil. All he managed was a simple, "Hey," and then he immediately kicked himself for sounding so stupid.

Luckily, Eden didn't seem to notice his brain fart. She greeted him with a smile that set his heart pounding faster than ever. "Hey, Finn. How are you feeling?"

"Great," he said. "Not at all like I'm totally unqualified and about to make a fool of myself in front of some of the most influential people in the business world."

She raised an eyebrow. "They'll eat you alive if you go in there with that kind of attitude. You've gone over these figures and this information a thousand times. You know what you're talking about—you just need to show the board that you do."

Finn's nerves settled slightly at Eden's reassurance. She was right. He'd rehearsed this presentation, reviewed the logistics, and planned for any questions he thought they might throw at him. There was no telling what would happen in the boardroom, but he knew he was prepared.

He straightened. "Alright. I'm ready."

Eden held up a hand. "Your tie's off-center." She stepped in front of him and adjusted the knot. This close, he could smell her perfume, a light floral scent that reminded him of spring. "There."

Finn caught her wrist before she could step back. Eden's eyes flickered over their hands, and he let go immediately, clearing his throat. "Um, I just wanted to say thank you."

She frowned. "I wasn't about to let you walk in there with a crooked tie. That's a crime against fashion."

"No, for helping with the project. You could have left me to fend for myself. Actually, I was almost expecting it. None of this," he gestured to the boardroom, and then at himself, "would have happened without your help."

Eden flashed him another heart-stopping grin. "Don't sell yourself short, Finn. You've done most of the work to make this project successful."

"Still, I wouldn't have been able to do this without you." He held her gaze steadily, hoping she could see the sincerity in his expression. "So, thank you."

Her eyes softened. "You're welcome."

The boardroom door swung open, and Seth sauntered out. His dress shirt was tucked sloppily into his pants, top button unbuttoned, showcasing his cavalier attitude toward the whole affair.

At the beginning of his internship, Finn might have found Seth's cockiness intimidating or off-putting, but now he knew better. He might not have grown up in the shadow of the business world like the other boy had, but he'd put in the hours to learn what he'd needed to and then more. No amount of swagger and attitude would rattle him now.