16 » at odds

Finn thought the five stages of grief summed up his weekend pretty well. Except that he wasn't grieving, so it was more like the five stages of accepting a job he was totally unqualified for and had no idea what to expect from.

He was in denial when he came home from the dinner. His parents had gone out for dinner, since both of their kids were gone, so he returned to an empty house and no one to talk to. He'd entertained the idea of going to Maddox's party, but he really didn't want to get involved in all the drama that was sure to be happening. He had enough drama in his own life.

By Sunday morning, he was caught somewhere between anger and bargaining. Sure, Eden apparently didn't think he was qualified, but Qadir must have seen some potential in him. Why else would he have offered the position? Unless he just wanted to watch Finn crash and burn, which was a rather unpleasant possibility.

He skipped depression entirely by going to Freddy's and getting a juicy burger and fries for lunch, choosing to eat his worries away. Food would never disappoint, after all.

By that evening, he was resigned to his fate. He'd already accepted Qadir's offer, anyway, so unless he really wanted to seem like a coward and a liar, he would just have to try his best when he started tomorrow.

His parents had taken the news of his new internship well, despite the fact that it meant he had to quit the restaurant. His dad even joked that Qadir seemed to be trying to adopt Finn. Abby said that nothing would make her happier, causing Finn to roll his eyes. She had seemed a little subdued since last night, but he attributed that to the raging hangover she was no doubt nursing.

After school the next day, he stopped at home to change out of his uniform, swapping the emblazoned blazer for his nicest suit. The last time he'd worn this Tom Ford piece had been at a showcase in Las Vegas when his parents were unveiling their third restaurant. He remembered walking down the Strip in awe of the neon lights and flashy buildings, despite being too young for many of its gaudier attractions.

The suit had looked slightly ridiculous on him then, but he'd filled out in the last two years. The jacket that used to emphasize his skinny frame now fit snugly across his broad shoulders, and the pants no longer threatened to swallow his once toothpick-like legs. He paused to admire the contrast of the navy against his fiery hair, grinning in the mirror. Blue was certainly his color.

His confidence wavered the closer he got to the glass and steel structure that marked Sayed Atlantic's headquarters. It was only a few blocks north of his parents' restaurant, but KC's Central Business District boasted a much more intimidating aura than the neighborhoods it was surrounded by. Skyscrapers towered around him, though the tallest was directly in front of him, marked with a giant SA logo near the top.

Finn walked through the doors with feigned nonchalance. The lobby looked pretty much the way he'd expected—white and neutral color scheme, a modernized feel, plenty of windows and fluorescent lighting illuminating the space—except for the fact that it was nearly empty. A lone receptionist sat behind a desk across the room from the entrance, typing furiously. The sound of his keyboard clicking was audible even across the spacious lobby. He headed in his direction, steps echoing on the marble floor.

The receptionist's blonde hair was gelled and combed to the side meticulously, which Finn only noticed because of how long it took for the other guy to look up and acknowledge his presence. "Can I help you?" Finn didn't miss his disdainful once-over and the dismissive undercurrent in his tone.

"I'm here to see Qadir Sayed," he said with as much authority as he could muster. What if I've made a huge mistake? Qadir had to be kidding. There's no way this is real.