21 » the blame game (i)

"Hey, Rose, can you pass me the sunscreen?"

Rose handed the bottle over. I squirted a generous amount of the white paste into my palms and began lathering up. Between us, Felicity stretched her arms out, putting as much of her tanned skin on display as possible.

"What?" she asked when I raised an eyebrow. "I need to fix this soccer tan before it's too late." She gestured at her knees, which were indeed darker than her feet and upper thighs.

"Did you agree to come out here just to tan during the game?" I asked. I glanced across the field, where Finn and Kieran were warming up.

"It's called multitasking. Besides, I'm still going to watch the game. I need to find a new crush now that I'm officially never talking to that douchebag again."

Rose and I exchanged a look over her head. Sure, it'd been nearly a month since Felicity and Ashton had broken up, which was definitely a record of some sort, but I suspected they would end up running back to each other again. Not exactly the most wholesome of relationships, but then again, it wasn't like I had any room to judge.

I'd invited Rose and Felicity to come watch Finn's game with me, since my parents were busy at the restaurant and wouldn't make it until the second half. Finn had heard that a scout from the University of Virginia might be here, which was both a thrilling and nerve-wracking prospect. I knew my brother was a great player; I just hoped for his sake that the scout thought so too.

My eyes roamed over the rows of people sitting by the sidelines. I recognized several of the family members of Finn's teammates, having gone to many of his games over the years. There were a couple of official-looking people, but no one with UVA gear.

Felicity elbowed me in the side, hard.

"Ow! What was that for?"

"I think that's Marissa talking to your brother and Kieran."

My head snapped up at the name, and I looked out toward the other side of the field. Sure enough, a girl with short blonde hair stood next to Finn and Kieran, both of whom looked less than pleased.

I groaned. "Great. I better go see what she's up to." I pushed myself off the blanket we'd spread on the grass and stood.

"You want me to come with?" Felicity asked, sounding far too eager to witness the confrontation that was no doubt coming.

"No, I got it. I'll fill you guys in when I get back." I started making my way around the field. What on earth was Marissa doing? It couldn't have been anything good.

Marissa had clearly come from a game, if the grass stains on her jersey and shorts were any indication. I noted with annoyance that her long blonde ponytail was perfectly intact; my hair was always a rat's nest after games. Whatever. That was just one more thing to add to a long list of grievances against her.

I sidled up beside Kieran and wrapped an arm around his waist. "Hey, babe. What's going on?"

Kieran seemed to relax slightly, uncrossing one arm and putting it around my shoulders. "Marissa was just leaving. What are you doing here?"

I kissed his cheek. "I wanted to wish you luck before the game. Both of you," I added, as Finn cleared his throat pointedly.

Marissa gave me a smile so fake it made the Kardashians look genuine. Clearly the extra PDA had gotten under her skin. "How sweet. You know, Abby, it's really nice of you to come to your brother's games and support him. You guys must be pretty close. But does he know he's not the only one you're here for?"