Day 12

The class is missing something, Aizawa is quick to notice the next morning. There's chatter and banter aplenty when he enters the classroom but there's a cast to the atmosphere; something lacking. Uraraka looks like she hasn't slept properly, Iida and Todoroki seem lost in thought, and Bakugo is quiet; scowling, but not responding to any of the chatter around him. Aizawa can see he's tired, it's evident the toll that last night has taken. But the decision had been to keep that between the staff and Bakugo for fear of scaring the others so instead of singling the blonde out he launches in to the first class of the day. It's strange to think that the loss of one of their numbers could affect the group dynamic so much, but then again, he had to remind himself of how tight knit this group have become.

He doesn't get any hint that anything is wrong until partway through lunch, when his phone vibrates, the caller ID showing "Shuzenji Chiyo".

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bakugo ducks out of the classroom with his lunch, intending to check up on Izuku before afternoon classes. But one of Recovery Girl's drones stops him at the entrance to the HDU. Affrontedness gives way to anxiety and he's just about to smash it out of the air when the doors open and she beckons him though, stopping him before he can look through the glass.

"What's going on?" he asks, tone bordering on desperate.

"His kidney function is decreasing," she explains gravely. "When he was out last night he spent quiet a long time in respiratory distress. His body wasn't getting enough oxygen. That's why I had to intubate him this morning. But, it also affected his kidneys and they just aren't coping with the stress, so I've had to put him on dialysis to give his system a break."

"Can I see him?"

She permits him with a maternal but weary smile but he's not really prepared for what he sees, the bento dropping out of his hands. Izuku's face and exposed legs are swollen. As he gets closer, he sees the bandage on his neck, two tubes poking out and leading to a machine filled with...

He backs up a few steps, stomach threatening to heave as he watches blood, Izuku's blood, circulate through the machine and travel back into his embattled body. The utter frailty of the freckled teen really hits Bakugo in that moment and it takes all of his willpower to make it to the seat, lunch abandoned and forgotten. Recovery Girl picks it up and follows, watching as his expression morphs from disbelieving to bereft. She places the bento on the little table.

"Is he going to die?" The question is so ultimate but delivered with such frailty that Recovery Girl feels her heart break.

"I'm doing everything I can," she starts, years of training keeping her voice measured as she stands in front of him. "The breathing support and dialysis as well as the antibiotic therapy is going to give him the best chance possible to beat this."

"But..." Bakugo whispers, interrupting her, brows pinching apprehensively.

"Sepsis is dangerous. His body is fighting against it as best he can, but last night took a serious toll and pushed his already straining organ systems. His blood pressure is responding quite well to the vasopressor therapy and alleviating some of the stress using the ventilation and dialysis gives him a better chance. But, I'm afraid I can't promise you he will survive."

She stays by his side as he works his jaw, processing and trying to think of anything to say, until finally he whispers:

"Can I stay?"

There's no hint of his arrogance or confidence, just a shell of a plea. She squeezes his hand gently and promises to speak with Aizawa, withdrawing after noting down Izuku's vitals to call the homeroom teacher, Toshinori, and Izuku's mother.