Day 16

Kill me im so boredddddd. Guess what! My rankings went up a ton which was really exciting. Im so happy! Anyways enjoy my weebs 

It's been two days. Forty-eight hours of watching, waiting, comforting, anxiety, roiling thoughts, bad dreams, fevers, and holding it together in class and Bakugo has nothing to show for it. Izuku is still deathly pale, bags forming under eyelids that occasionally flutter and give Bakugo a moment of hope before falling still. His fevers have been wearing on the blonde as he tries to comfort him through the apparent nightmares that accompany them with gentle touch and distracting words. Often he's rewarded with success as the freckled teen calms under his ministrations, but each time sinks the spike of worry deeper into his chest.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bakugo wants to argue with All Might when the teacher comes to collect him for class the next morning, two wrapped onigiri proffered as some sort of breakfast peace offering. He hates how his anxiety flares at the idea of leaving the HDU for longer than is necessary, but he can't let himself fall behind. He knows his homework has been in on time and received solid marks but he has to keep up if he wants to be number one. But that doesn't mean he's entirely willing, images of what could happen flicking across his mind's eye just to torment him. With a grumbled curse, he pulls fresh clothes from his bag and goes to change, pausing at the sounds of voices when he returns.

"-aking him off the ventilator today. I've already spoken with his mother and she gave her consent. I told her Aizawa would bring her here this evening but that poor woman is-"

She's cut off by the click of the door and she and All Might turn to see Bakugo staring at them, eyes wide and filled with a strange mix of apprehension and mistrust.

"What's happening?" His voice is hoarse and he swallows to try and rid himself of the sandpaper in his voice.

Recovery girl crosses the intervening space and gestures for him to sit. He shakes his head, levelling a glare that demands answers and tries to masks the anxiety with an attempt at intimidation.

"I'm going to wean him off the ventilator," she explains, not missing the way Bakugo's hands twitch. He wants to ask 'why?! Deku's being kept alive by that machine', but he can't form the words. She seems to read him anyway:

"There are dangers with being on a ventilator long term, especially in sepsis" she explains, honestly. "I need to see if his lungs have recovered enough from four nights ago that he can breathe on his own. Unfortunately, the best way to do that is by reducing the support and carefully monitoring him."

Bakugo swallows thickly, eyes immediately drawn to the monitor displaying Izuku's vitals, watching the oxygen sats hover between 98 and 100% and trying to stop himself imagining that number dropping lower, and lower, and lower until-

"Young Bakugo," a hand on his shoulder, understanding eyes and All Might's kind but firm tone all coax the blonde to look at the retired hero.

"Look after him for me." It's not a question, it's an ultimatum delivered to both of them and Recovery girl nods with resolute eyes and a knowing smile. She knows it's not meant with malice, or as a threat; he knows how good she is at her job. So she takes it for the plea that it is, even if couched in a rough demand. With a stiff nod, he spins on his heel, All Might sending a quick wave at the nurse over his shoulder before falling into step with his student and escorting him to class.

The walk is silent right up until they reach the classroom and Bakugo turns to look at the other blonde:

"You told me I could save by winning," he reminds him, a note of bass entering his voice. "How am I supposed to win here?"