Mom

"Pop? Whats a mom?"

The 5 year olds voice was small and innocent but Merlin froze at her words. He ran a hand through his hair and pulled on it slightly. He knew this day would come he just didn't think it would come so soon. He internally groaned.

" Angi, hon a mom," he struggled for the words "a mom is someone that takes care of you and loves you always ."

"Like you and baba? "

Merlin sighed "no honey a little different "

"Oh, do I have a mom?"

"You used to" Merlin said with a sad smile

"Where is mom?" Angelica, ever inquisitive.

"She had to go away"

"Is she coming back?"

"No sweetheart, but she is always watching you and keeping you safe"

"Why did she go" tears built in her little eyes

"She went away to protect you and me from monsters"

"But baba and you do that too and you always come back."

"Mom is fighting bigger monsters then baba and I"
Merlin scooped the little into his arms and held her close to his chest.

"Oh" she whispered

She buried her head into his shoulder " when big monsters come are baba and you going to go away too?"

A tear fell from Merlin's eye "no baby, baba and me are never going away if we can help it ."

She pushed off his chest looked to him. Her little brown eyes were so much like her mother's Merlin couldn't stop the tears that began to cascade down his face.

"You is sad," Angelica reached up her tiny and patted his cheek "dont cry no more pop! I won't not leave you and neither will baba. I heard him say it"

He blushed and pressed a kiss to her forehead . "I love you sweetheart"

"Love you too pop!"