Chapter 27 - I Won't Back Down

(This isn't long and it's not great but I haven't updated in so long!)

-e

You can stand me up at the gates of hell

But I won't back down

Fenrys

My detour had been slightly longer than I'd originally planned, slipping back to my old rooms as Rowan carried on towards the ceremony that was no doubt starting imminently. Tufts of hair whipped at my face and the footfalls of my boots made a barely perceptible pattering.

Time. We needed more time.

I felt my heartbeat rise and rise until it was pounding in the back of my throat, threatening to leap straight out of my mouth and shatter on the floor. That worry was secondary. Perhaps not even that. Not as stride by stride took me closer to trying to save her and the Kingdom.

And as if my thoughts called to her, the door to her rooms slowly creaked open, and out she stepped as graceful and heavenly as the raw incarnation of perfection.

Her clicking of steps echoed throughout the hall, careful and precise as if she'd somehow matured so soon into her fae form. She'd been through enough that it wasn't surprising. Not when her mother had been exactly the same.

The apple- as tempting as it had been once written as sin and she was exactly that, as sweet as sin- had not fallen far from the tree.

My feet slowed to a stop several meters in front of her as she tugged the poofy skirts from between the doorway, a smile never slipping from her face. Her hair flowed gracefully from her half up-do, glinting in the sunlight drifting in from the windows.

I watched as if in slow motion as she peered over her shoulder at me and for a moment I hoped, wished that everything was easy. Normal. If I could look past the monstrosity of a dress of course.

"Fenrys." She sighed, eyes softening as she turned to me, walking step by step, far enough away to be just out of reach. Always out of reach.

"Hello, Stardust." It was supposed to be confident, but instead it fell out like some kind of gasp, like I'd used up that remaining bit of air she hadn't stolen from me.

"You're back then." The tightness in her smile mirrored the bitter tone in her voice. Her arms crossed over each other, careful not to crease the material underneath. Before I could speak, she carried on. "Lyssandra told me. Said you kicked up a fuss too- not that I'm all that surprised."

"No." I quickly interjected, quieting at her wide eyes. "I mean there was a bit of fuss-" She snorted and rolled her eyes at that. "Loons, I saw you yesterday."

Her eyes flashed with anger, with fire. I didn't have to be Marion to understand that. "Don't you think I would've remembered that? Wyrd, you're just as bad as Felix! Stop treating me like I'm crazy. It wasn't funny when he did it and it's still not funny now."