Chapter 4 - To All My Lucky Stars

(Bit of a long chapter but it needed to happen. All feedback welcome xx)

Fenrys

I wanted her to tell me I was wrong. That I was being ridiculous and that the issues were coincidences and that's all. Then she'd turn and tell me to leave and rest, all the stress of raising a new kingdom was driving me delirious.

But she didn't. And I wouldn't have believed her if she had. Because now the words that had trembled out of me were beginning to settle. The Guild. Aelin's face was a sheet of ashen white. I could see the cogs turning in her mind. The thought that her role as Celeana Sardothien was threatening the life of her child. That the life she had tried so hard to leave behind still haunted her every breath even as Queen.

Aelin let a feral smirk bloom across her face, it didn't do anything to ease the tension that was knocking itself through my body. It was to try and settle Aedion no doubt, who's stench of fear drowned my senses and most likely Aelin's too. "Well, I suppose that answers whether they're still pissed or not."

"Aelin. I don't think tonight is a good idea."

"Tell me Fenrys, what exactly is going to happen to a bunch of c grade assassins when they come across a court of shapeshifters and fae? A Queen who loves her people. A people that love their Queen." She waved off the worry and returned to her child, who looked just as stressed as I did. Crazy as it sounded. "Go and get changed Fenrys. The procession starts in an hour. I expect you to be ready to welcome Manon and Dorian."

Yrene

I had been tasked with babysitting for the evening and honestly, I couldn't have been more thankful to Aelin. The exhaustion had finally settled from my walk about the city and the amounts of healing that had been piling up through the day from the mayhem of the celebrations .There was no room left for finery and dancing. Chaol had been adamant about seeing Dorian even if he had to hobble around all night and I knew to make that possible for my husband, I could rest. Besides, there was no doubt similar festivities would continue for a few evenings before the people of Terrasen would begin to tire.

The younglings had been asleep for hours, with the exception of one white-haired princess. Luna had been as silent as death since I'd taken her from her parents hours previously. She'd settled into her cot easy enough, but she'd stayed awake, looking through the room every now and again. The same tension was as thick in the nursery as it had been when Fenrys had spoken about the disturbances. It had me anxiously scanning the room on numerous occasions, almost jumping out of my skin when I saw a silent figure striding in through the doorway.

"Gods, Fenrys, you startled me." His eyes were hazy as a light grin tugged over his face.

There was no denying the fact that he was one of the most handsome fae I'd ever seen. Even after he'd cut his hair into short curls that replaced his long locks. His golden tan like he'd never missed a minute of sun in his life. There was no attraction there though.

I would never find anyone that could ever quite make me feel the way Chaol did. The way my heart would flutter and cheeks would blush was something I had never imagined myself having. Yet, there it was. And our child. A gift. He had been such a welcome little gift even if the timing had been truly atrocious. Our little Henric. Our little bundle of joy.

Fenrys leaned over Luna's bedding, her hand instantly grabbing one of his fingers. "For you, Stardust."

That damned necklace he'd almost kicked up a fuss about in the market place was now glistening from around Luna's neck. "I thought you were on duty."

He just shrugged lightly in response. "Apparently I was making everyone too nervous."

I noticed his slight wobble then. "Fenrys are you drunk?"