though late in the night

"aha, iwaizumi-senpai, i didn't take you as one to be afraid of ghosts," y/n laughed. a light blush was on iwaizumi's face as he shook his head. he had made sure what had conspired in the haunted house was kept between the four of them, not even oikawa would hear of it.

"i didn't expect you to like them so much," he admitted, scratching the back of his neck sheepishly. y/n laughed in response and hanamaki and matsukawa shared a look.

"where's oikawa?" matsukawa asked softly, as if he didn't want to interrupt the exchange y/n and iwaizumi were having. y/n turned around and smiled.

"behind you."

"what?"

"yoho!" oikawa exclaimed, giving matsukawa quite the fright. y/n giggled. "let's go on the ferris wheel next!" he exclaimed, as if he had been there the whole time. the e/c eyed girl looked at the aforementioned attraction. the sky had darkened, inky blue seeping into it, causing a certain few rides to light up.

a silent agreement was settled among the five of them.

hanamaki spoke up as they made their way to the ferris wheel, "i feel like it's a little early for it to be turning this dark."

"it's because the author is lazy, don't mind it," oikawa replied nonchalantly.

"what?"

"hm?" the brunette innocently batted his eyelashes. "did you say something?"

"i—"

"oh look, here we are!" the setter cut hanamaki off, squinting his eyes at the rules. "iwa-chan, you have to be this tall to ride. give it a year maybe you'll be allowed to get on."

"oi, shittykawa," iwaizumi huffed.

oikawa giggled, turning his attention back to the rule signboard. "four to a cart, i'll go with l/n-chan an—"

"how about you come with us, oikawa," matsukawa said, less like a question and more like a set-in-stone statement. hanamaki dragged oikawa by the back of his shirt to join him and the middle blocker.

y/n and iwaizumi were seated in a cart with a couple who seemed far too into each other to pay attention to the high schoolers. the cart itself was surprisingly spacious, letting the two sit with a solid foot of space.

as the wheel began moving for other passengers to sit, y/n rested her cheek on her palm, looking out the window. her right hand was placed on the empty part of the seat beside her. she felt a warm sensation on said hand, taking a closer look, it appeared to be iwaizumi's own hand. iwaizumi himself was covering his face with his freehand, y/n noticed a hint of red under it. she smiled coyly, turning her hand over and interlacing their fingers. this action caught the ace's attention, his eyes widened as he turned towards the girl.

"so, iwaizumi-senpai," she drawled, lifting their hands so she could slide closer to iwaizumi.

"so...?" iwaizumi choked out, furiously blushing. y/n rested her head on his shoulder.

"is this fine?" she asked. he nodded in response. "great," she smiled.

iwaizumi assisted y/n in hopping off the cart. they kept their hands intertwined as they looked for the other three. a solid 10 minutes of searching passed before the pair gave up.

"i wonder where they went..." y/n sighed, collapsing onto a nearby bench. iwaizumi furrowed his brows as he sat down next to her. meanwhile, hanamaki, matsukawa and oikawa had left the two to their devices and were now eating cotton candy together.

"how about we find them later?" iwaizumi said, quickly adding on, "we can enjoy our trip here and then call them."

"sure," y/n stood up, "how good are you at darts?" she asked, pointing to a stand.

5-0, y/n to iwaizumi. that was their mini game score.

"how are you so good at this?" iwaizumi asked as y/n picked out her sixth prize.

she simply looked at him and smiled. it was a warm, sincere smile. iwaizumi felt it fill him up with the same feeling you got from sipping hot chocolate in front of a fire on a cold winter day.

he wanted to see that smile more often. his arms tightened around the large stuffed bear he had been given, his face heating up.

"maybe we should find the others," y/n hummed, taking out her phone and looking at iwaizumi for confirmation. "it's getting rather late, isn't it?"

"sure." the ace nodded.

"goodbye." the h/c haired girl waved to the boys as they dropped her off at her doorstep, her arms were full of the stuffed animals she had won. she watched them drive off before entering her home.

y/n removed her shoes before getting asked about her day by her mom. she replied with a simple "it was good, thank you for asking" before retreating to her room.

she placed her stuffies on her bed, admiring them for a second before looking in her purse. once she found what she was looking for, she pulled it out and placed it on her desk. a stack of polaroid pictures from that day. she wrote the date and stuck a few stickers on each of them. pinning them to her corkboard, she admired her handywork.

"today was a good day," she said to herself softly, looking at one of the pictures — the five of them squished into frame, smiles on their faces.

——
yo. it's been a long time HSKJHDK sorry to keep you waiting. i got a little addicted to genshin impact (by that i mean i'm ar54 and still spend most of my free time on it) but i checked my wattpad a while back and i found so many comments on this story it really made me feel like continuing it. ty to everyone who reads/comments/votes for it, ily all! seeyou soon <3

also i didn't do a thorough read through of this so uh sorry if there's any mistakes