Inbetween Days and Beginings

Song - Waterfall by The Stone Roses

At some point during the night Timmy must've woke up from his slumber because when I woke he was next to me on his usual side of the bed.
I gazed at his pale sleeping face, I knew he'd have a bad hangover and even though we'd not left things on the best of terms last night I went into the kitchen and made him a coffee.

When I came back into the bedroom he was awake.
"Morning." I said, lightly. "I made you a coffee I thought you might need it."
He brightened with a surprised smile accepting the mug.
"Thanks y/n."
I sat back next to him and relaxed, head on his shoulder while he took a few sips.

"So did you smoke last night?"
"Yeah." He said disappointed.
"Did you used to do that...a lot?" I twiddled my thumbs.
"Occasionally. Do you not like me doing it?"
"I mean, no. But I can't stop you from doing it."
"I won't do it anymore."

I wanted to tell him don't feel you have to because it makes me uncomfortable but he spoke so affirmatively and conclusively I think he didn't want me to say anything.
There was about another minute of quiet and sipping of coffee before I spoke again.

"So Mike hates me doesn't he?"
"Nah, he just doesn't know you yet."
I looked down at the worn white sheets, Tim didn't seem in the mood for talking in depth and that was fair enough he was recovering.
"You feel sick still?"
"No, my head is spinning though."
"What can I do to help? Shut up?"
He laughed.
"In the nicest way possible...yes."

So we sat there, calm and at peace. There was no deep discussion yet we'd made up. I smiled and relaxed further into his side.

"Wanna go for a smoke on the balcony?" He suggested.
"Sure." I stood up to get a pack cigarettes from the living room. I felt his eyes on me as he stood up too.
"You know you have the best ass I've ever seen."

I chuckled; "That's something coming from you, Mr. Twenty Five."
He smirked and put on some clothes.
I sat on the fire escape stairs and he stood looking out into the late morning as he smoked.

"So you start work tomorrow, how you feeling?"
"I'm a little nervous."
"Don't be, you'll be the best damn waitress Uh..."
"Ricci's."
"Best damn waitress Ricci's has ever seen."

"Just I've never done it before."
"You'll get better with practice."
"Thank god your birthdays on Sunday cause that's like my only day off."
"You're kidding."
"Nope." I shook my head.

"You're working six days a week?"
"Well it's all half days."
"Morning or night?"
"Half and half."
"Well that's not too bad then."

"I don't know why it's open so much over the holidays."
"New York never stops."
I laughed and took another drag of my cigarette.

...

"Y/n, Y/n!" A tall fat man snapped his fingers at me.
"Table seven! They've been here for ages no ones been to them go go!"
I rushed over.
"Hi, welcome to Ricci's. What can I get for you."
"Uh can I have a burger without the burger y'know like just the bun."

"Without the what now?"
"Just the bun." The woman spoke harshly as if I was some kind of idiot.
"I'll see if I can do that for you miss."
She sneered at me as I began to ask the others at her table what they want.

I was on my feet all day and I thought Londoners were rude boy New Yorkers gave them a run for their money. Also I was wearing heels, not very high ones but high enough to regret the decision. All that was getting me through the horrible day was the afternoon with María.

When I finally got off work she was waiting outside, she'd told me over the phone she knew some good jewellers that weren't too expensive so I could get Timmy a birthday present along with the aftershave I got him last week.

María asked me how work was and I told her the cold hard truth - it was awful.
"At least you have a handsome husband to come home to. I finish work and go home to my cat Stella who's probably left a million little shits all over my apartment."
I let out a laugh then;

"What do you do, María?"
"Oh I'm a receptionist."
"Oh and how's that."
"Miserably boring."
She showed me into the jewellers.
"Donnie!" She shouted.
A small man came running out of the back at the sound of her voice.

"María!" He said excitedly. The man was small but skinny with grey waves for hair and a brown mole on his chin.
"How are you?"
"I'm good I'm good. This is y/n my friend. Y/n this is Donnie he's my sister in law's dad."
"Nice to meet you." I shook the little man's hand.

"What can I do for you, y/n?" He smiled.
"I wanna get my husband something for his birthday, I'm not sure what but it needs to be affordable."
"Well you came to the right place."

I went home that night with a white bag marked 'Donnie Harrison Jewellers' and a beautiful gold chain inside I'd got for under 50 dollars - affordable was right.

When I came in around 7 Timothée and Mike were relaxing on our couch.
"Hi baby." Timmy smiled as he saw me he stood up and kissed my cheek taking my coat.
"Hey Timmy, hey Mike."
Mike nodded a hello and drummed his fingers on his beer bottle.

"I'm gonna go for a shower baby, long day."
"Oh okay. There's a game about to come on so I invited Mike over is that alright?"
"Why wouldn't it be alright?"
"Just I don't know if there's any bad blood-"
"Oh don't worry about that baby."
I pecked his cheek and swanned off to the shower.

A/N : Feels like the December parts are lasting ages but imma do one birthday one then January.