Chapter 8

Eorlund and his wife donated to the temple as a token of gratitude towards Danica, both for the temple's services and our silence; while the Whiterun guards would not arrest their son, they would certainly welcome the Legion through their gates to do it themselves. I thought of Avulstein's words all day; perhaps I do need a cause. The Companions, as much as I love them, are beholden to no one, and pride themselves at that. They go where the work is and exact vengeance on their enemies, giving no apologies for any of it. I'm not done fighting, but maybe I need to do it for someone different.

~

The bear was massive and old, covered in battle scars of his own by the time we crossed paths. It was a good, long fight, but I won in the end, tired and covered in wounds of my own. I settled in to consume him, but I caught a scent; I was not alone. Another wolf, perhaps not the same one I encountered before, but her scent still familiar. She found me first, appearing over the hill. I snarled, signaling that the prey was mine and mine alone, but she simply sat down and waited for me to finish. My kill was not what she wanted.
When I was finished lapping at the bear's blood, she approached, circling me carefully. I sensed I was newer than her, my bloodlust stronger, but she was far more able to control herself than I. I knew why she was here; I'd been careless in my hunting. Too frequent, too many humans that would be missed, and in her territory, no less. I didn't care.
She circles me, quietly growling; I don't take my eyes off of her. When she realizes I'm not going to back down, she lunges for my throat. My claws catch her and leave behind three large, bleeding wounds down her face; I know you. We both lunge again, and this time, neither of us will lose.

~   

In the main room of the temple, Marcurio slept on the altar peacefully with a thin blanket over him. This was a very good sign; on most days, he couldn't tolerate any kind of fever and didn't sleep through the night. Hopefully, this was a sign his fever was breaking.
In the corner of the study, my sword, armor and knapsack sit, untouched after almost a month. On Danica's desk is a few sheets of paper, along with a quill and some ink. I quickly decide what I'm going to do next, and begin writing Danica a letter. I tell her that I have decided to travel again, and I don't know when I'll be back in Whiterun. I thank her for everything she has done for Marcurio and I. I leave 600 coins in a purse on the desk, 500 for Marcurio when he's well again, and 100 to donate to the temple. I silently change into my armor, leaving the hooded robes folded neatly in the chair.
I walk silently into the main room. For once, all of Danica's charges are sleeping peacefully, and I wouldn't want to ruin that. Marcurio is laying on the altar closest to the shrine. I sit carefully on the edge of the altar and shake him gently. After a moment he blinks and looks up at me, his eyes darting to my armor.
"I see you're doing better." I whisper.
"...I heard you crying earlier. Are you alright?" He mumbles.
"It's time for me to leave; Danica has your payment. I don't know when I'll see you again, but I promise I will." I try to say it gently, but he grimaces.
"Where are you going?"
"I'm not sure yet. I have an idea, but I haven't decided. What will you do next?" I ask him.
"I don't know. I think it's time I try to go back to the College; I think if I show them I've improved, that I'm more serious, maybe they'll let me back in." He thinks aloud, even as he chews at his lip.
"Well if you need a recommendation letter from a Circle member of the Companions, you'll have it." I tell him. I'm not certain my name carries that much weight, but perhaps his instructors won't bother to verify who I am.
"What about from the Last Dragonborn?" He asks. I roll my eyes.
"You heard about that, huh?" I sigh. Danica should really keep her voice down.
"I didn't have to; I saw it, Nova. Will you go to the Greybeards?" He asks.
"Soon, but not today. I'm not sure yet who I can trust, who will help and who will just use me."
"Nova, there could be more dragon attacks—" He argues.
"We don't know that. The first dragon attacked months ago, and no one has seen one since the one at the watchtower." Marcurio shakes his head.
"Nova, whatever you do, be careful. Even if I messed things up between us, I—"
"You didn't, Marc. You're my friend; and you could never mess that up." I explain before I hug him. "I will be careful, and I'll write to you. I promise."