Chapter 25

"Erdi. Erdi, wake up." I whisper. She sits up on her elbow and stares at me with tired eyes.
"Stormblade! How are you out of bed?? Did you fall? Here, let me help—" she starts, pulling herself out of bed.
"Erdi, I'm fine. I have to leave." I whisper. I had another potion. Is my heart beating dangerously fast? Yes. Do I feel better than ever before? Also yes.
"What? You're not well. You can't leave now." She argues.
"I have important business to attend to, and not much time to do it. I've written a letter to Ulfric. Will you please give it to him when he arrives here tomorrow morning?" I beg her, shoving the envelope toward her.
"Stormblade, you've no idea of the trouble I could face. Please stay, I could lose my job..." She pleads.
"Then tell them you found this note, and I was already gone. If they fire you I can promise you a job in the Palace of the Kings, alright? Please, I can't stay here." I tell her. She sighs heavily and takes the letter from me.
"Thank you Erdi. We will see each other again." I whisper.

~

Dear Ulfric,

I hardly know where to begin. I'm overwhelmed, to say the least.
If I said I didn't know your intentions before today, I'd be lying. Galmar told me, and I didn't fully believe him until now. I never imagined that you'd ever think me suitable. I never thought you could love me.
My answer is simple: I'm not ready.
You and I both know I have other obligations beyond the Stormcloaks I've been avoiding. The Greybeards, the Companions, the dragons... Alduin. I can't ignore them any longer.
I'm stopping in Windhelm to see Sofie, then to Whiterun, Riften, and after that, High Hrothgar. Write to me if I'm needed back in Windhelm; Write to me even if I'm not needed at all.

With Love,
Nova

~

Even though the streets are dark and there's no way anyone could possibly see my face under my helmet, I keep my head down. I've changed into a regular Stormcloak cuirass and helmet to avoid being recognized. Any Stormcloak that sees me now will make a massive commotion; the last thing I want. I want to leave quickly and quietly, so no one thinks anything is amiss.
"Long life to you, Jarl Ulfric." I hear a man say. Up ahead of me, one of the new Stormcloak guards holds the gate open for Ulfric and Galmar. Ulfric only nods to the soldier. My stomach drops; this was not a possibility I prepared for.
"You can't possibly think this is a good idea. She's still a child! She could never be a queen, not now." Galmar grumbles beside him. My cheeks heat; it was one thing for Galmar to insult me to my face, but another to insult me to Ulfric. Especially because he's right.
"Nova is far wiser than you give her credit for, Galmar. Stronger too." He mumbles, his eyes locked on the Blue Palace behind me, walking at a faster pace than Galmar.
"I'm not saying she's not those things. She doesn't even know the influence she holds; it took less than a week for the news to spread that she had joined the rebellion. Now you've announced that you want to marry her, and half of Skyrim already knows about it. Everyone is watching her, and she carries herself without caution!" He complains.
"She will learn; she will adapt. Like she always has, like you've seen her do." Ulfric dismisses him, a small smile on his face as he and Galmar pass me.
Finally, Galmar grabs his arm and stops him in the street.
"Ulfric, tell me the truth; right now. Why are you so set on marrying her? I understand how valuable she could be to your cause, your position, but—" Galmar hisses.
"I want to marry Nova because I'm in love with her. Is it really that hard for you to see?" Ulfric hisses back, losing his patience.
Those words alone are enough to stop me in my tracks. Vilkas may have loved me, but he never could have admitted it. He could never love me openly and without restraint. Of all the women in Skyrim that pine after Ulfric, out of anyone he could've had, he picks me. Galmar sighs.
"I know, Ulfric. I only worry for you, you know that. All I wish for is your happiness after so much pain. I was sworn to protect you when you were only a child, you can't blame me for looking after your well being." He says, grasping Ulfric's shoulder.
"Do you think she'll say no? Be honest." Ulfric asks, returning the gesture. Galmar laughs and shakes his head.
"I know how she feels; it's obvious to anyone with eyes. That's not the question, though, is it?"
"Then what is?" Ulfric asks.
"I didn't lie to you, Ulfric. She does foolish, unpredictable things sometimes; this time she nearly lost her head for it. There's really no telling how she'll respond." Galmar explains.
"Yes, I... Who's that? Back there." He suddenly says, looking up at me. I realize that I've completely stopped in my tracks in the middle of the street to stare at them. I don't want to leave; not after what he said, but I know if I don't leave now I never will.
"Just another guard. You there! Stop gawking and get back to your patrols." Galmar shouts. I nod and salute him, then begin walking swiftly for the gate. When I reach the gate I take a moment and turn back and look at them. To my surprise, they stopped to stare right back.
"Is that...?" Ulfric begins.
"No," Galmar scoffs as the gate closes. "There's no way she's already back on her feet. You're so heartsick it's unbearable; let's get you to the Palace."

~

"I knew you'd be back." I hear a voice mumble as I step through the door. Aela sits in a chair at the dining table with a small smile on her face. She looks a little better, perhaps less tired and thin than when I last saw her. Her eyes remain silver, as I expected; though it does surprise me that Farkas remains a werewolf. He sits in another chair not far away, and he immediately stands and wraps me in his bulky arms, lifting my feet off the floor. Even in my huge Stormblade armor and bear fur cloak, I look like a child next to Farkas. When he finally sets me down, Aela is behind me. She wraps an arm over my shoulders and hugs me gently.
"Good to see you, runt." She says. I smile. Aela called me this long ago, when we first became friends.
"I'm glad you're back, Nova. Vilkas... He hasn't been good. You can fix him again, right?" Farkas says slowly.
"Fix him? I don't know if I ever did that," I joke, but Farkas awaits my answer all the same. "I don't know, Farkas. Things aren't like they once were." Farkas' face falls, and the pout makes me give a little bit. "I'll try, alright? But I might just make things worse." I tell him, glancing at Aela. My worry is reflected in her eyes. Farkas seems to accept my answer, at least.
"He's just been.. Easy to anger. He's always had a temper, but..." Aela explains.
"Where is everyone?" I ask.
"Outside. Perhaps you should see for yourself." Aela says. She opens the door in front of me, showing me everyone sitting under the patio. In the yard, Vilkas is training with Ria. She's doing pretty well, until she trips and her sword goes flying away from her. I expect Vilkas to lower his own, but he runs towards her with it raised high above his head. Everyone gasps, but I think I'm the only one that sees the gold shining in his eyes.
"Vilkas! Stop!" I shout as he's about to bring his sword down on her leg. I realize that without being even fully aware of it, I've run down the steps and joined them in the yard, already gripping Wuuthrad's handle. The fear on Ria's face dissipates into joy and she jumps up to hug me, as if she didn't nearly just lose her leg; I keep my eyes on Vilkas behind her back. He shakes his head.
"Look who finally decided to show." Vilkas says coldly. He doesn't look angry, but his eyes are void of emotion.
"I've been very busy, if you can't tell." I retort.
"We heard!" Ria cuts in. "We heard you were injured in Solitude, are you alright?" She's so genuinely interested, I have to indulge her a bit. I pull the collar of my armor just a bit, showing the line of pink flesh, still healing.
"Caught a Legionnaire's dagger. I wasn't worried about it, but I found out pretty quickly it was poisoned. It's always poison with me, isn't it Farkas?" I joke. Everyone present laughs, except Vilkas. His face remains quiet and blank, but he stares at my scar, then shakes his head. I pull my collar back up.
"Oh yes; Stormblade to our newest tyrant king. And engaged, if I'm not correct." He says, sheathing his greatsword. My greatsword, I realize.
"We heard about that too," Ria giggles, clearly trying to dodge Vilkas' attitude. "Is it true?"
"...Not entirely. He's announced his intention; that doesn't mean I've answered." I explain, and her face falls. "I can't get married yet, I still have a lot to get done. Alduin is at the top of my list." I tell her; at the mention of Alduin, her face lights up again. Vilkas says nothing further, only glaring at me as he walks inside. Once he's gone, a last bit of tension thaws out of Ria.
"Thank you." She says once he's out of earshot. She's sweet, but not oblivious, I realize. She was asking me probing questions on purpose to upset him, to force him to leave.
I look back to Farkas, who only shakes his head. My eyes land on Aela, and I nod toward the Underforge. She understands, and I follow her to the door. I don't speak until we're safely inside.
"I need to ask a favor."