Chapter 20

"You're back! I suppose I should extend my congratulations for your promotion, Bone-Breaker..." Ulfric begins, until I remove my helmet. "What's wrong?" Before I can answer, Sofie launches herself into my arms, my helmet clanging to the floor.
"Sofie, I need you to— Sofie. Listen." I beg her as she giggles loudly. "Sofie, I have to tell you something." I tell her, setting her down and kneeling before her on the floor. "Do you remember that your Pa went to go fight in the war?" She nods, her smile fading; it breaks my heart. "He was taken captive by some very bad people. I went to find him and tried to bring him back to you, Sofie, but... He died, sweet girl." Ulfric's face reflects the same sadness and guilt I feel. He will blame himself; as will I.
"No... No!" Sofie cries, stomping her foot.
"He gave me this, to give you," I tell her, pressing the amulet of Talos into her palm. "He told me to tell you that he loves you, and that Talos is with you." I tell her. Fat tears roll down her cheeks as she stares at the amulet in her hand.
"I don't want this," She says quietly, before angrily throwing the amulet across the room. "I want my pa!" She shouts, running for the door. I retrieve the amulet from where she left it, but I remain in the floor, my eyes blurring with my own tears. Ulfric kneels before me and gently holds me, unsure how to help. I hate that he's seeing me like this. Vilkas, Kodlak's death, now this; it's all too much.
"Did I do the right thing, Ulfric? Maybe I never should've told her. Now she must mourn him all over again."
"You did the right thing. She deserves the truth, even if it hurts her. You and I both know that." He says quietly. I push away from him, try to wipe my face and be the Bone-Breaker; the Dragonborn.
"Galmar asked that I tell you that he received Siddgeir's surrender yesterday evening after he had already sent the courier on his way. He ran for Solitude just after. Dengeir of Stuhn is Jarl now, and Falkreath is yours." I explain.
"Yesterday evening? You must be exhausted. You'll want to rest, surely—"
"I can't. Galmar needs me in the Reach camp. More spy work, I think." Ulfric sighs and sets his jaw, as he gives me a hand out of the floor; on the verge of defying Galmar's own orders, I can tell.
"Bone-Breaker!" Says Jorlief, appearing in the doors. "So good to see you. Jarl Ulfric has asked that I grant you the title of Thane, which would allow you to purchase a house in the city!" He explains excitedly, unaware of the somber mood in the room. "There does happen to be a house available—"
"But you and Sofie are welcome of course to continue to stay in the Palace as long as you like." Ulfric says quickly, interrupting his steward. Jorlief looks quite put off, to which Ulfric gives him a wide-eyed glare. Jorlief rolls his eyes, digging through his book of notes, pulling out an envelope.
"In any case, Elda Early-Dawn brought this to us from the tavern. For you, Bone-Breaker." He says, handing me the letter. To my shock, it's from Aela.

Nova,
Vilkas said I could reach you here. I'm sure you don't exactly want to hear from me, and I hope you don't throw this letter in the fire before reading it. The brothers and I have finally finished going through Kodlak's documents on his desk. We discovered many important pieces of information, but what you must know now is this; Kodlak intended you to be his successor. For all intents and purposes, you are Harbinger of the Companions until you say otherwise. Vilkas is beside himself, as I'm sure you can well imagine. I don't know if he'll leverage Farkas' vote and try to oppose you. I know we aren't as close as we once might've been, but if Harbinger is what you want, I'll support you.
There is more, but I can't possibly fit it all into one letter; regardless of what you choose, you must return to Whiterun.
Regards,
Aela

"Thank you, Jorlief." Ulfric says as Jorlief walks away.
"Don't mention it." Jorlief replies, waving at us over his shoulder.
"I have to leave, now." I insist when he's gone. "I have to stop in Whiterun before I go to the Reach camp."
"I'll write to Galmar, ask him to give you a couple more days. Has something happened with the Companions?" He asks as I'm grabbing my helmet and my sword off the desk.
"...Possibly. The sooner I leave, the sooner I can settle things with them, the sooner I can get back on the road to Galmar." I explain. "Tell Sofie I'm sorry; I'll be back as soon as I can. And Ulfric," I grab his arm, quickly kissing his cheek. "Thank you, for making me Thane."
He says nothing as I quickly step out of the war room; I try everything to shove down the fluttering in my stomach.