Epilogue

"Stormblade Novariana! I've been looking for you." I hear someone say. The old, frail voice is that of Jarl Vignar Gray-Mane.
"My Jarl, is there something you need?" I ask.
"Well, my steward and I have been looking at Balgruuf's old records, and it seems he had been planning on making you a thane. Olfina, my dear?" He says. Olfina Gray-Mane, his niece and housecarl, steps forward with a shining, green orcish greatsword."By my right as Jarl, I name you Thane of Whiterun. This is a weapon for you from our armory at Dragonsreach. I was quite surprised when I informed Jarl Ulfric of this and he offered to buy a house for you, right here in the city." He tells me. Olfina hands me the axe and a small key. The last thing I expected was to step out into the street and be declared thane, and I'm finding myself a bit lost for words.
"I... I thank you, Jarl Vignar. I never expected..."
"Don't thank me, thank Ulfric." He says as he's walking away.

~

I walk through the cold tomb with the burlap sack clenched tightly in my fist. Aela trails behind me, her bow in her hand.
"Are you sure you'll be alright?" She asks.
"No. No, I'm not." I answer honestly.
We step into the room where we last saw Kodlak; even though I don't expect him to be there, I'm still disappointed when I don't see him there. Even still, the room feels alive, breathing, watching. I remember what Kodlak said about the other Harbingers I couldn't see; perhaps they're all watching now, cheering me on, hoping that this works for me the same way it worked for Kodlak. I approach the Flame of the Harbinger, looking at the sack in my hand. I shake the sack a bit, ensuring that it isn't empty, before dropping it into the flame.
At first, nothing happens and my heart sinks. In just a moment though, every bone in my body is engulfed in fire. I try to fight against the urge to collapse from all the pain. I hear the wolf spirit snarling in my eat.
I try to scream for Aela's help, but it almost comes out as a roar. After that, I can't fight it anymore and I fall to the floor.

~

As I'm passing through the streets of Riften, I catch a glimpse of myself in a window. I stop for a moment to push all of my loose strands of hair into my braid. I almost surprise myself when I see my eyes, newly restored to their natural moss-green color. It's good to be healed, to feel clear-headed again; I'm sleeping so much it's hard to wake up sometimes. So much anger and resentment melted away as soon as the beast blood was gone.
"Nova! So good to finally see you again." Marcurio says, hugging me tightly. "Or should I say, Stormblade Novariana? Look at you! You look nice." He chatters. I almost feel guilty for taking the fine clothes that Erdi dressed me in for my dinner with Jarl Elisif, but I highly doubt anyone in the Blue Palace will miss them.
"Well, being someone of my station in Solitude has its perks. Where's the blushing bride?" I ask him as he pulls an Amulet of Mara out of his pocket and adjusts it around his neck.
"She should be here any minute. I can't believe I'm actually nervous... You don't think she'd walk out on me, would she?" He asks, tugging at his collar.
"No, I don't think so. You've both been waiting for this day for so long... Listen, I'm going to find a seat, you just try to keep your head on straight, alright?" I tell him, and he only nods weakly. Just as I find a seat on an empty bench, Camilla bursts through the door in a white silk gown with her brother in tow.
"I'm here! I'm here. I'm so sorry I'm late, my love. I got distracted..." She apologizes, rushing into Marcurio's arms.
"It's no problem at all, dear." He says, kissing her cheek as he heads to the front of the room with the priest.
Through the entire ceremony, the two of them stare lovingly into each other's eyes. You'd think they wouldn't be able to pay enough attention to get through the vows, but they do.
I wonder to myself what life would've been if I'd gone to Riften with Erik instead of almost bashing his head in with the hilt of my sword. I imagine myself standing up there with him and the priest under the golden statue of Mara. I imagine myself as his doting wife, living in a cottage in Rorikstead taking care of all six of his children while he explores Skyrim and makes a name of himself with the nobility.
I almost shudder in disgust.
What if instead I had written back to Marcurio? What if I had come to Riften, and he was marrying me instead of Camilla? Gods only know what that would've meant. At the time, the two of us were no better than beggars. I'm sure I never would've motivated him to go back to the College as Camilla has. Would we have even had enough money to get married? I doubt it.
All of the sudden a pang of grief washes over me that I haven't felt in weeks; I realize I'm thinking of Vilkas. One night as we were laying together in his bed and I was recovering from that poisoned arrow, he suggested it to me. "I want to marry you someday." He whispered as I laid next to him, pretending to be asleep. He'll never know that I heard him say it. What could a lifetime with him have been like? Would he have still abandoned me when Kodlak died?
And what of Ulfric? We would never marry here, at this small temple in Riften. He would spare no expense, I'm sure. We would marry at the large Temple of the Divines in Solitude; that is, if I can ever really make the sound choice to marry him. What if I always have too many responsibilities as the Dragonborn to even think of taking a second role of High Queen?
"I do. Now and forever." Marcurio says softly before they kiss. The small temple erupts into applause and cheering, snapping me out of my thoughts. I cheer and clap along with them, and stand up with everyone else to follow them out of the temple. Out in the street, everyone talks with the happy couple as they try (and fail) to make their way to the gate.
I get the vague feeling I'm being watched. My senses aren't as heightened as they once were; I still get feelings like this, and I'm usually wrong. I grab my dagger handle and look around, searching for the source. I don't see anyone in particular looking at me, but the feeling stays. I turn around to face the temple, and I see him. I don't draw my dagger; I can only stare at him in shock when I see what he's holding. He walks toward me with an amulet of Mara wrapped around his fingers and another over his neck. Finally when he's only a few steps away from me, Vilkas speaks.

"Nova, will you marry me?"