Chapter 15

Dear Nova,
They wouldn't let me see you. I heard some soldiers saying that the Dragonborn was injured and taken to the temple of Kynareth, so I went there as fast as I could. When I did, the guards at the door said that no citizens in proper health were to be allowed into the temple, at Jarl Ulfric's request. The next day the Jarl comes and parades himself into the temple. Of course, another Jarl that thinks he's above the law, even his own. Why do you trust this man with your life? This war is pointless. That man knows nothing of love for Skyrim, only love for himself and a thirst for power. Please, come home.
-Vilkas

His letter nearly makes me groan aloud; I understand his frustration, but I don't think Ulfric made a bad decision either. The temple was certainly full of wounded, wounded that would likely feel much better if they saw their king. I know Balgruuf rarely (if ever) visited the temple.

Dear Vilkas,
For once, could you just trust me? I know what I'm doing, and so does Ulfric. He did that to make as much space in the temple for injured soldiers as possible. He only wants the best for his people and his country. There's so much you don't understand, and I doubt you ever could. All I ask is that you trust that I am making the right decision for myself. I thought you already did.
-Nova
I send the letter off, pay the courier, then head directly for the city gates.
I need to hunt.

~

"...and then she gave me one of those taffy treats!" Sofie tells me as she yawns.
"Did she now?"
"Yeah, but Jorlief said that couldn't be my dinner, so he made me some venison stew. I love venison..." She mumbles, starting to drift off.
"I know you do, sweet girl."
"With snowberries..." She says softly. When she's finally deep in her sleep, I kiss her temple. I had worried she'd be unhappy in the palace, living with a bunch of brooding old men that cared for nothing but the war, but it seems she's made friends more rapidly than ever. He would deny it, but even Galmar is growing a soft spot for her. Ulfric would too, but we all see it in his smile when he talks to her. Jorlief even thanked me for bringing Sofie into the palace; he's apparently been trying to find some way to make Ulfric happy for years. This precious girl has the Jarl of Windhelm wrapped around her little finger. I can't help but wonder what'll happen when I finally have a home to give Sofie. Will Ulfric fall back into himself, become a hardened shell of a man again? Maybe Sofie would even be happier if Ulfric adopted her instead. But would he do such a thing?
"Nova..? Nova, are you awake in there?" A voice whispers. I stand out of bed and walk out into the hall where Ulfric is waiting.
"I'm sorry to disturb you, but I have a favor to ask." He says quietly, watching Sofie.
"What is it?" I ask as I shut the door.
"Well, as you may already know, there's a family of Empire loyalists living in Whiterun, the Battle-Borns. They've been flapping their gums about how the Dragonborn is dead and they know the Empire is sending reinforcements soon to retake Whiterun soon enough. Stuck in thinking that nothing can ever go against them, just like their damn emperor." He growls. I smile a bit at his irritation, very few things stir him up, but talk of the Empire never fails.
"So you want me to go to Whiterun and show them I'm still alive and kicking?" I ask.
"I want you to do more than that. I want you to cut them to pieces; but that'll have to suffice for now."
"Alright, I'll refrain from bringing you back their heads. Just send me a message when you want to send me on a real assignment." I not-so-subtly complain. Ulfric sighs and turns away.
"Nova, you know why I'm doing this. It's not because I think you wouldn't be capable enough to send out to battle. For one thing, if I just sent a courier with a message that you're alive, that wouldn't serve the same purpose, the purpose being to shove all of the Battle-Borns' feet in their mouths. For another, I'm still not entirely certain you're back in full health yet. Nova, I do this for your safety." He explains. I sigh a bit louder. He's right I suppose. I'm not feeling completely back to my old self just yet.
"You're not nearly as concerned about your other soldiers." I mumble; I've told them many times now I want no special treatment. It's so quiet that I know the only people who could've heard it were myself and Ulfric, but it stops the man in his tracks.
"I know I am responsible for the deaths of many while I sit here warm and safe in the palace. I cannot describe to you the guilt I feel for that much. However, losing my life would have more repercussions now than ever. My life means nothing to me, but everything to Skyrim and her people." He says slowly.
"Ulfric... Ulfric, that's not what I meant." I tell him gently. I take a few steps forward and reach up and touch his shoulder. He turns slightly, staring down at me. For a moment I see his eyes, and a gentle sadness crosses them, like rain on a funeral. Suddenly it disappears and he turns away.
"Then what did you mean?" He asks very quietly.
"I... I don't know." We're silent for a long time. If I didn't want special treatment, I never should've allowed myself to speak to him that way."When am I reporting in, my Jarl?" I ask.
"As soon as you can. Did you have something else planned?" His face has returned to its usual coldness, but he still doesn't look at me.
"Kodlak had asked me to do something for him quite a while ago. It's very important; a personal favor." I say quietly.
"I'll send a message that you'll be late."

~

I should've told him I'd be more than a little late. I suppose I forgot Glenmoril Coven was in the Reach, a hold on the opposite side of Skyrim. However, I didn't exactly want to tell him where I was going after he told me he thought I was still unwell. Perhaps I am, but I still think I can handle a few little witches. I say goodbye to Sofie and wish Jorlief luck looking after her, then depart for the Reach. It's quite a way to go on foot, but at this point, I'm not especially terrified of bandits or wolves along the road.
I think of my last letter to Vilkas. I hate to argue with him, but I'm not about to apologize for being right. He should know very well by this point that I'm going to do whatever pleases me, not what he thinks is best for me. At the same time though, I miss him so much. I miss feeling his warmth next to me while I sleep. I miss being able to sleep at all.
While I'm thinking about this as I cross the bridge out of Windhelm, I'm not paying attention enough to notice the horse breaking out of its stable box and charging towards me. A dunmer stable boy tries to restrain the beast, but it's much too strong for him and it pushes him into the snow. It runs at me with fury in its eyes, and I know it's not going to stop.

"Fus!"

The horse stumbles and slides backward through the snow a few feet. When it regains its composure a bit, it looks to me and kneels on the ground on its front knees.
"I'm so sorry madam! I don't know what's wrong with this horse, she attacks people at random. I-I apologize.. I don't know what got into her." The stable boy stutters as he tries to lead the mare away with a rope.
"Wait.. Where did you get this horse?" I ask.
"Well.. We found her out in the wild somewhere. We think someone owned her before, we're not sure who though. Whoever they were, they had plenty of reason for abandoning her." He explains, still trying to control the unruly horse. I walk towards her and lightly press my palm to her nose, and she stops struggling.
"How much?"
"W-what..?"
"How much do you want for her?" I ask.
"Well.. We usually ask for one-thousand gold for a horse, but I'd be willing to drop the price to eight-hundred, since she's so much trouble." The astonished stable boy tells me.

~

I laugh loudly and cling to the horse as she gallops over through the road. We're already in the Rift, making great time. Maybe I won't be late to Whiterun.
Shortly after she attacked me outside of Windhelm, I realized this horse was the very one that I'd taken from the old man that had helped me when I was escaping Cyrodiil and carried me to Skyrim. She spooked and ran when we were attacked at Darkwater Crossing, but it seems someone else found her. I don't blame her for attacking me, after being taken from her owner and then abandoned in a strange place shortly afterward. By some chance we've been reunited, so surely it's destiny. I decided to name her Fjori after a character from one of my favorite books. I sure hope we've reconciled.

~

As we near the edge of the Rift, I realize we have to rest sometime. I haven't seen a village or tavern in miles, and sleeping on the ground by the road doesn't seem like a good idea. Thankfully we come to a camp by the road, and I dismount to greet whoever is staying there. Strangely enough, the camp appears empty. I look around the camp in the fading twilight, and across the river I see two women standing on a small island with shovels and pickaxes. I wade across the river and call out to them, but they're making such a racket that they can't hear me. When I finally reach them I tap one of them on the shoulder, but she turns on me and swings blindly with her pickaxe.
The woman has a crazed look in her bloodshot eyes, a sure mark of a heavily sedated skooma addict. The other woman looks even worse with her hollow face and yellow skin. They both swing blindly at me with their pickaxes, but in just a moment they lie on the ground, bleeding. I sigh sadly at their wasted lives and kick their bodies into the river, hoping someone downstream will find them. In the hole they've dug in the ground lies a small chest with a bit of gold in it.
I wade back across the river and tie Fjori to a nearby tree. The women had a bit of food with them, but mostly skooma, which I immediately toss in the river. I cook a little stew on their fire and quickly fall asleep when I lie down in their small tent.

Fan art credits go to http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/zxp7phow_bout_them_apples_no_apple_trees_in_skyrim/