【35】Clumsy Marquess

Maeve looked up at Lucian, at his indulging smile, his hopeful eyes

Maeve looked up at Lucian, at his indulging smile, his hopeful eyes... Had he truly meant to ask for himself, and not some random Marquess he might know of?

"But you said—"

"I know, that wasn't very clever of me. Let me explain. When they asked me to go to Belgium, they offered the Earldom of Bath, which would become a marquessate by the end of the year," he revealed. "I refused at first, but I met with them Friday, to accept their offer, to be a little more worthy of you."

Maeve stayed perfectly still, her heart racing in her chest, her confused thoughts bouncing in her head. He wanted to marry her. They would spend their entire lives together. They would have children, grandchildren... They would grow old together.

"Maeve, say something please."

"You— You want to marry me?" she stuttered.

"Of course, my darling. I am sorry it took so long, but as you well know, I can be quite obtuse." He gave her the sweetest, most tender kiss he had ever given her. "I want you, Maeve. I wish for nothing more than the honor of spending a lifetime by your side."

She stood there as he went to fetch something in the drawer of his nightstand. Once back, he lowered down on one knee before her, wincing slightly at the pain from his bad leg, and lifted a small box forward. He opened it and her eyes widened. It was a gorgeous ring, made of a multitude of diamonds and intricate details.

"Maeve Langston," he solemnly said, "will you marry me?"

Euphoria invaded her, and she gaped at the man before her. It was hardly the proposal she had imagined, as he was stark naked and she was half-dressed, but she already knew she would cherish this memory for the rest of her life.

"Of course I will marry you, you idiot."

He sighed, reassured. "Your idiot."

Taking the ring out, he gently took her hand and slipped it on her finger. She looked at the jewel as tears of joy slowly filled her eyes.

"Maeve, darling," he called, bringing her attention back to him. "It's rather embarrassing, but I need help to get up, my knee is killing me."

She laughed indulgently and pulled on his forearm to assist him. Once standing, he lovingly wrapped his arms around her to kiss her.

"You do know I would have gladly been your baroness too, right?"

"I know. I wanted to do this for you. As a show of my affection."

"There are other, simpler ways for you to demonstrate," she argued, removing the few garments she had managed to slip on in her haste to leave. With a low laugh, he guided her back to the bed.

They fell onto it in a messy tangle of limbs, chuckling with happiness. Their elated moods switched into something more primal as he placed himself between her spread legs and pushed his shaft into her willing flesh.