【Epilogue】

Maeve's heart had never been as full as it was when she stepped out of the church with Lucian at her arm

Maeve's heart had never been as full as it was when she stepped out of the church with Lucian at her arm. It didn't matter if the sky was dark and rain wasn't far, or if the many guests had gathered on the pavement to congratulate them. All that mattered was that she was now Maeve Thorne, Marchioness of Bath, Lucian's lawfully wedded wife. Which was about damn time.

As he'd pointed out, his mother had gotten involved with preparing the festivities, and things had gotten a little out of hand. Ailia's wedding had been of considerable size, but still somewhat reasonable. This, however, was the largest wedding this season, if not the largest one in a few years. The scandal about her family's past had been solved, as the newspaper had issued an apology statement and retracted their original claims. Her father and Lucian had indeed handled it, and Ackley had even left the country shortly after everything had gone back to normal.

So, between her family's reputation being back to its former glory, and the fact that Lucian was the newly appointed Marquess of Bath — after wearing the title of earl for a few weeks prior — everyone had wanted to attend this illustrious wedding. They'd even been forced to change their original venue, in favor of a larger church that could hold more guests.

Had they been in charge of their own wedding, they would have chosen an intimate ceremony in a private chapel with no more than twenty guests. But it didn't matter anymore, because now, they were officially married before God.

Her heart hammered in her chest as she looked at Lucian instead of the friends, family, and acquaintances waiting on the paved forecourt. His eyes were on hers with equaling adoration, and the smile they exchanged was charged with love and utter happiness. Because they were free to do so now, and because the occasion called for it, he bent her way while she stretched her neck, and they exchanged a sweet and chaste kiss in front of their public.

It didn't fail to trigger applause and cheers. The same acclamations had erupted when the priest had declared them husband and wife a few minutes earlier.

They pulled away, but the look they shared held the promise of so much more than that. Their love was unstoppable now, and no one would ever tear them apart again.

With the solid support of her husband's arm, she descended the few steps before them. Lucian's leg was doing much better again, but he still had his cane with him, in case the long moments spent standing up had proven problematic for his old injury. When the priest had asked them to rise from their kneeling position, she'd offered him the discreet support he'd needed by reaching for his hands and helping him up. Now, it was his turn to assist her so her brand new shoes, lovely but uncomfortable, wouldn't make her fall.

Because he was right by her, her anxiety didn't take over despite the many people that swarmed them for quick embraces and well-wishes. Since he knew she could spiral, he never let go of her, no matter how much they were pulled and tugged at. When it was her family's turn, Maeve hugged them for the longest time, emotional tears gathering in her eyes. She would miss them greatly, but it was time for her to start her own family.