【06】Imposed Truce

Lucian was tired of all this childishness

Lucian was tired of all this childishness. For God's sake, he had been to war, known death — almost suffered it on numerous occasions. He had complied until this moment, but there was no way he would pay a foolish forfeit.

Especially not when it regarded Lady Langston.

He couldn't understand why he was compelled to act like an arse every time she was around. To tell the truth, he hadn't even realized he was being rude until she had slapped him. It wasn't like him to insult ladies, but when he was in her presence, it was as if he wasn't in control of his brain, as if everything was heightened. He wasn't sure of what could explain his lack of tact, and it was growing increasingly annoying. Was it because of her behavior, years ago, and the humiliation he had felt? Or was it because of the way she made him feel now?

It had been over a year since the last time he had had a woman, and Lady Maeve Langston made it all too clear. He couldn't help it. His gaze was constantly drawn to her full lips, her slender forms, her piercing eyes... He couldn't help but imagine what it would be like to possess her.

Back in the maze, for the first time, he'd had a glimpse of her inner strength, and somehow, it made her even more compelling. He hated this weakness, how she was able to make him feel like this, without even trying. Her lovely physique made it very easy to forget she was cold and vile inside.

Lucian's attention went back to the couple who had won the game. They were whispering in each other's ears, trying to find the best forfeit. He gazed at Lady Langston discreetly, and he saw her pinch the bridge of her nose, visibly irritated. At least, she'd hate whatever would come as much as him.

The couple finally seemed to reach an agreement, and the man turned to them, an amused grin on his face. Lucian prepared for the worst and saw Lady Langston tense in the corner of his eye.

"We have decided," said the lady, pausing for effect, "that the both of you shall be tied by the wrist to one another for the next hour."

Both Lucian and his partner registered this information, and before they could say anything, the lady continued, "It is either that, or something much worse, so if I were you, I would accept without a fight."

Lucian frowned before looking at Lady Langston. She was analyzing the situation, gauging it, her eyebrows frowned with dislike. She gave him a hateful look and her attention went back to the couple who had carried out their sentence, trying to figure if they were serious or not.

With a sigh, she finally gave up. "Fine."

Lucian couldn't refuse now. Not without passing for a coward. He merely nodded, and the winning woman excitedly untied a pink silk ribbon from her hat to hand it to her partner.

Lady Langston came to his left and lifted her hand to give access to her wrist. Lucian did the same, regretting having forgotten his gloves in the carriage. Under everyone's attentive gazes, the gentleman tied their wrists together, making sure the ribbon couldn't untie itself. Lucian looked at Delawney, and his friend, who had been mad at him earlier, was now very amused by the turn of events.