【18】Shameless Flirting

Delawney found his group of friends, and they all left the room together for their game of cards

Delawney found his group of friends, and they all left the room together for their game of cards. Lucian found himself alone again, so he scanned the room in search of a distraction. The Schwarzes and the Langstons were back from the music room, several guests already engaging in conversations with them. He decided to congratulate the women on their performance, but before he reached them, the group had scattered around, leaving only Lady Maeve and Miss Schwarz.

"Ladies," he told them when he reached the pair.

"My apologies," Miss Schwarz abruptly declared, "someone is calling for me over there."

The move wasn't subtle at all, and Lucian's suspicions were confirmed. Lady Langston had told the woman something had happened. She watched with incredulity as her blonde friend abandoned her. When they were both alone, she looked up, regaining her composure.

"Did you enjoy the piece, my lord?" she cordially asked.

"I did, my lady. And I have to admit your friend was right." A valet with glasses passed by, and Lucian grabbed one for him and one he offered to her. She took it and thanked him with a nod.

"She was right about what?"

Lucian bent slightly, bringing his mouth closer to her ear, inhaling her perfume. "You were captivating," he explained, with a low voice.

He moved back and watched with delectation as her skin flushed, a delicate tint of pink spreading on her cheeks. It must have been so unfair to blush so easily, as it robbed her of her right to appear unaffected, her body betraying whatever turmoil raged within her. In this particular case, he wondered if she was all flushed from modesty or arousal.

She looked up, her eyes daring, as always. "I thought I was captivating even without my violin?" she noted smugly. Following her taunting, she moved her glass to her lush lips to take a sip of champagne.

"Swan, I firmly believe you would be even more captivating with nothing at all."

His remark didn't fail to shock her, and she choked on her drink, her blue eyes growing round. He apologized, unsure what to do to help her. He couldn't exactly touch in front of all these people, so tapping her back gently wasn't an option. Helpless, he watched as she coughed, her eyes filling with tears. People around them sent them curious looks.

"You cannot say things like that," she scolded when her coughing fit stopped, her voice hoarse.

"I know, I am sorry," he admitted, a pinch of amusement in his voice.

He was pleased to have taken her off guard but sorry to have made her choke on her drink. She sent him a judging glare and looked around. Deciding to ignore him for a moment, she paid him no mind, purposefully avoiding looking at him. Lucian had to bite the inside of his cheek to prevent his grin.

"So, what did you tell them?" she asked out of the blue.

"To whom?"

"You were supposed to give your answer, for Belgium."