Day 3

(or: making worlds out of words)

People can be really mean.

   As a writer, I know how words can hurt and also inspire. By themselves they are really nothing, but it's the value that we assign to them, the meaning, the history. And yet . . . they really do strike a chord sometimes. Even though I know that words shouldn't be taken seriously I still let them do their damage every time. 

   People have called me some really cruel things in my life and they have all affected me. I hate it. I try to tell myself that it's nothing, words mean nothing, but deep inside my soul I can't help but feel that there must be some ounce of truth in that and if that's the case maybe it's all true and maybe I really as shitty a person as they make me out to be. 

   And then it takes a while to recover, lol.

   Today's poem is not exactly about words or pain, but I think it can relate to both. It's called Thinking by Walter D. Wintle

   Words become seeds that sprout into thoughts that have the capability of changing your entire personality

   Words become seeds that sprout into thoughts that have the capability of changing your entire personality. But they are just words, at the end of the day. Just thoughts. I try to remind myself of this: that the awful things people say are just a reflection of their own misery. I don't mean to say I am perfect (for who could ever be), but I am simply human, and I do try to love the world as best as I can. The world and all it's people - cruel and otherwise.

   I heard a hadith once where the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: you must never go to bed with a grudge on someone, and someone asked him how was one supposed to remove that grudge from the heart? He replied saying, 'make dua for them'.

   And dua, too, is just words, at the end of the day. So words do matter, right? Words matter, but you decide when they do. It is a hard lesson I have been trying to learn since before I could speak (lol). My dad lives his life by the statement 'sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me'. I, on the other hand, cry at the mere mention of an insult. It's horribleee.

   Sigh.

   So i haven't been having a great couple of days and I'm not doing so hot challenge-wise. But my other prayers are getting a little better, so there's that.

   But I'll still keep trying.

   Question: how do you deal with cruel people? Do you let them get to you? Do you laugh it off? Do you honestly not care?  [Teach me your ways * _*]

   May your words only ever inspire good.

   Until the next post,

    Love,

   Chu