Chapter 11

Drogo rolled over in the middle of the night, finding Dany laying on her back. He reached down and palmed her little bump and grinned. The bump was growing bigger, and was a struggle for her to tie her pants up and over their son now, so she quit trying. Once she had started showing, she seemed to be growing a bit more every day. It turned him on to watch her ride the silver, her little tummy poking out between her vest and pants, showing the world their baby.

She had been kept safely away from her brother for days now, and it was showing as much as her little bump; subtle, but obvious to a keen eye, and his were keen for only her. She smiled more, and her laugh was heartfelt and true, and her worried frown had completely disappeared. He noticed that her skin was more flushed, and the sun was kissing her face and arms delicately, little speckles everywhere the sun could touch. Her face was a bit rounder, showing better health, but also making her seem much younger. Sixteen years old, more than a child surely, but younger than he thought he would like in a wife. He wondered if the Magister had known earlier that Khal Drogo was looking for a wife, would he and Viserys have been so willing to give her away? Even at thirteen? Twelve? Honor would have made him turn her away at that age, he felt sure of it. But even as he imagined her being a little girl, that little Daenerys held a certain charm for him, too.

Sometimes, when she was walking or swimming, he could see the ghost of that child. Some of her movements were still that of a little girl, awkward and ungainly as a newborn foal, like when she was learning to ride the silver, or how she would bite her lip when thinking before speaking. It did odd things to him. He would feel a bit guilty, but so turned on that he couldn't help himself. The one thing that made his guilt disappear was that she was so eager and happy to be with him, completely unafraid of him now. He was making her happy. He smiled in the darkness, remembering that it was only a few moons past that she had been sleeping in her own tent, curled up and crying instead of being sprawled out next to him, her arm flung over his chest in her quest for his touch.

He knew she would be happy in her home in Vaes Dothrak. It was much bigger than the tent, and it was dug out of the side of a large mound of earth, offering cool darkness even on the hottest days. The bed was larger than the one they had here, and had a solid frame instead of rope slats across a light frame. He was looking forward to that bed and her in it. Breezes swept up from the lake and kept the air fresh in the valley, the grass stayed green all year at the base of the Mother of the Mountains. There was a market place full of traveling traders, something different with every caravan. He planned on showing her off to everyone, and he would be the envy of every man in Vaes Dothrak.

He thought about the ceremony waiting for her, and for him. He had mounted thousands of women, but had never claimed an unborn child as his own. This would be a test for him, too. He had to hunt down and kill one of the wild stallions with just a fucking stone knife and a rope. Steel and bloodshed between men were both forbidden in the city, so he would have to master the skill of stone before arriving. His practice just that evening proved to be less troublesome than he thought it would be, and he was able to provide her with her first preparation for her part in the ceremony. He hoped he wouldn't fuck it up on the day he needed to put the still warm heart in her hands for her to eat.

If she weren't pregnant, he would still need to present her to the Dosh Khaleen, the women of Vaes Dothrak, the widowed khaleesis that were now the leaders of their great and vast city. If he were to fall in battle, Daenerys would immediately be taken back to Vaes Dothrak by her khas to join them before she could be harmed. It was a sobering thought, his Daenerys widowed and abandoned to the women of Vaes Dothrak while she was still so young. If his son was under four, he would be left out for the wild dogs to eat lest he become a threat in his quest for revenge later. Drogo suddenly promised his sleeping wife that he would take extra care with his life. He wanted many, many more years of sleeping next to her like this.