Chapter 15

Irri and Doreah carefully braided her hair and tied her gown securely after her bath, doing a sort of dress rehearsal for the next day. "Tightly," she whispered as they retied her gown. "I want the Khal to see his son." She smoothed down the dress in the front and sighed. The gown had been made to be flowing and soft, to emphasize her innocence, not to expose a pregnant body. "Let's loosen it again," she requested."At least see if we can make my breasts look like they're bigger, Doreah."

Her handmaiden made a teasing singsong hum at her. "Shhh, quiet," Dany teased back with a grin. "I want this to be perfect for him."

Dany was worried that her wedding gown wouldn't be pretty enough to wear for her introduction to the Dosh Khaleen, but it was the prettiest clothing she owned. She intended to change before the heart ceremony that evening into more appropriate Dothraki attire, knowing that it would please Drogo, and it would keep her from spoiling her gown with blood. Ohhh, blood, there will be blood. Her stomach quailed at the thought, but she forced her nervousness down.

She wouldn't see Drogo until he met her at the temple tomorrow afternoon to present her to the crones. She was nervous, knowing everything depended on what they would foresee of the future, no matter if it turned out to be true or not. Their word was law in the city, and it could possibly have a very negative impact on Khal Drogo and his khalasar. She refused to leave anything to chance, especially anything that could fault her or his choice to marry her.

"Khal Drogo is not going to start comparing you to other women tomorrow of all days, Khaleesi," Doreah whispered to her soothingly as Dany cupped and lifted her breasts in the bodice of her dress. "He will have spent the night on the mountain, no shelter, no sustenance. You will be all that he will see, at least until the feast. There, let's try that." She tied the back of the dress as Dany removed her hands in time for her to tighten the top.

Dany groaned. "How am I going to manage to eat at the feast after eating the heart?" she asked, glancing again in the mirror. "Everyone will be expecting me to. Oh, that's better."

"Khaleesi, you will be served many delicacies from all over the world," Irri answered her, nodding. "There will be something good you will like, even for just small tastes."

"What about Viserys?" she asked nervously. "Has anyone seen him since we've arrived?"

"I saw him, Khaleesi. For an hour, maybe two, after he was settled into a house." Doreah's unspoken words said as much as her actual ones.

Dany nodded slowly and met her eyes. "How was his mood?"

"The same. Although he seemed to feel better after the bath. I washed his clothes. I hope it helps."

"We had the new ones made for him," Dany started thoughtfully. "What if we asked him to supper tonight, just to be nice? Drogo isn't here, so there won't be any danger of violence, you think? Have a goat butchered for supper, he will like that better."

"Horsemeat makes a man strong and honest, Khaleesi," Irri protested. "It is known."

Dany smiled at Irri. "Of course it is. Viserys doesn't like it, though. Get a goat. Doreah," she looked at her handmaiden. "Invite him to supper, and I will surprise him with his new things for the feast and ceremony tomorrow." Doreah nodded in consent, and left the room with Irri to fulfill their tasks.

Dany sighed and changed out of her gown, hanging it carefully with the rest of her clothes in the bedroom. She lingered for a moment, caressing the folds of the sandsilk. She hoped the dress would be good enough. You're the true princess of Dragonstone and the Seven Kingdoms, Daenerys, a voice inside her mind scolded. Of course you're good enough. You're the only woman the mighty Khal Drogo will touch, the only woman he sees when he moves about his khalasar. She took a deep breath and raised her head, her own encouraging reminder enough to cast aside her doubts.