Chapter 18

As soon as Drogo sat down, the party continued as though nothing had happened. He held his horn out for more lamekh then grabbed a chunk of meat from the nearest plate offering, not wanting his emotions at the incredibly close call to show. He clenched his drinking horn tightly to keep his hand from shaking. He'd damn near lost them both, a wrong step or word would have ended everything. Fuck, that was close. Biting off a large piece of meat, he glanced over at Daenerys for a mere moment before returning to the laughter of his men. His heart sunk at that one look. She was bravely trying to cover how devastated she was and she was doing a good job of it, but he could tell it was already starting to get the better of her. Her women were surrounding her and trying to distract her with giggles and funny stories, and she was keeping up with them just fine, but he knew her heart wasn't in the party any longer. He would get her out of there as soon as he could without calling a halt to the festivities.

He waited until several of his riders were passed out from drink, and more had left the temple before standing and making his way through drink addled bodies to stand in front of her. It was as if she couldn't even see him by that point. Irri touched her shoulder gently and roused her out of her thoughts. Drogo held his hands out for her to take, but after a moment of Dany just looking at them and then slowly up at him, those lovely lavender eyes full of anguish, he sighed and reached down and lifted her in his arms, carrying her past the crowds and out into the open air. It felt fucking wonderful to hold her, one arm up her back, palm cupping the back of her head, fingers threaded in her hair, the other arm around her gorgeous ass. You're alive, you're alive. We'll get you home, beautiful girl.

Striding out into the darkness, the sky full of stars, he felt her shiver, so he held her tighter, thinking she was cold. Her arms came up around his neck then and she burst into tears. Body wracking, trembling, shaking sobs ripped from her chest like he'd never heard anyone cry before. Fuck. She was upset with him. Daenerys, he had to die, he reasoned with her in his mind, becoming more upset. He would not have let either one of you live.

Once within their home, he carried her directly back to the bedroom and set her down on the bed, still crying beyond comprehension. "He had to die," he said simply, and reached out for her again. She was staring off at the wall behind him, not seeing him at all as she cried, tears pouring from the corners and down the middle of each eye. A torrent of tears, flowing like the stream behind their home. "Fuck, Daenerys," he groaned, sitting next to her and rubbing his hands over his own face. "You agreed to it, you know you did."

Irri came in then, and ushering him out, turned to Dany and began taking her clothes off, wrapping her pale, shivering body into her warm dressing gown and then bundling her in a blanket, not ignoring her cries, but letting her get on with it without interfering. Irri brushed her hair back and tied it in a long plait down her back, stroking the fine platinum hair in comfort, then went to work rubbing her shoulders and back, urging her to lay flat on the bed, pillows propped around her to keep from pressing too much on Rhaego. He watched from the doorway, silently hoping she would want him to come in, call out to him, say his name, fuck, anything.

He could see her shivering and shaking slowly stop as Irri rubbed her back and sang a sweet, soft song in the candle lit bedroom. Doreah snuck in quietly, and lit a few more candles before tossing a handful of sweet incense into the brazier in the corner of their room. He watched these two women work from his position in the doorway, working to comfort his wife in ways that he could not have thought of. Doreah soon went to the bed and lay down on it next to Dany, mirroring her position on the bed, and laid one arm gently across her back, over her shoulder blades. "Come, Khaleesi. I had water brought for your bath. It's nice and hot for you," she whispered, but Drogo could hear every word.

No response from the girl on the bed. Doreah sighed, and gestured for Irri to help her get Dany up. The women gently guided her up and took her in the back room. Irri came out a few minutes later to retrieve Dany's nightsilks, and stopped when she saw him in the doorway, still waiting, and gestured for him to come in and sit.