Prologue

Song: Memphis By Kitten
3:30 PM Sunday, September 2nd, 2019

    "I don't wanna go back to school," the boy with dirty blonde sort of brown-haired spoke up while the two walked through the comic store. Demetri was a little shocked that much came from his best friend's mouth in public. Eli was somewhat shy.

"I mean I get that but come on it's our sophomore year. It's a bit of a big one, we both turn 16 get our license. A year closer to running out of this hell hole." The tall boy rambled on as he sifted through the comic books. The shorter boy just nodded enjoying listening to his boyfriend speak.
God, he would never tell anyone other than his parents he and Demetri were dating.
He felt it was worse enough getting bullied for his scar, being a nerd, and being quiet. He didn't need to add being gay to that list.

"I just, I'm not prepared to get thrown into lockers and have bloody noses every day yet," Eli explained picking up an Umbrella Academy comic.

"We're just gonna lay low this year hun," Demetri pulled his boyfriend a little bit closer to him and kissed his head. That made Eli blush bright red, it was just him and Demetri against the world this time around.

11:30 AM Monday, September 3rd, 2019

      The two boys sat at lunch eating in piece Demetri occasionally talking about how excited he was for their date to go see the new Spider-Man movie. Which earned some chuckles from Eli, he loved spending time with Demetri.
Then a boy with tan skin and brown hair walked over. Eli looked up at him but slowly looked back down at his tray and rubbed his scar.

"Is it cool if I sit here?" The new boy asked clenching his lunch tray.

"Sorry, this tables really blowing up right now. I can put you on the waitlist but probably next semester will be the earliest." Demetri spoke sarcastically to the new boy. Eli glanced at Demetri as he said it.

"Okay," he started to walk away.

"No, I'm kidding," Demetri pointed to the empty chair next to Eli, "Sit."
The boy sat next to Eli and he glanced over at Demetri scared out of his mind.

"I'm Miguel," he nodded setting his backpack next to him.

"I'm Demetri," he picked at his applesauce and this is Eli," he motioned over to his boyfriend. Eli continued to let his eyes dart around and rubbed his knuckles.
"He's a man of few words," Demetri said. He was used to speaking for Eli.
Then Yas and Sam walked by earning gazes from Miguel.

"Dude doesn't torture yourself," Demetri waved his arms around while talking.

"Do you ever talk to them?" Miguel asked looking over at Demetri and Eli.

"Oh yeah, all the time! We hang out after school, make out, give each other hand jobs. Eli here is the homecoming king!" Demetri giggled pointing to his boyfriend.
"Gets laid more than anyone, ain't that right Eli!" He giggled looking at his boyfriend.
Miguel just shook his head and rolled his eyes with a big smile on his face.
"Talk to them? You realize what table you're sitting at right? You pretty much signed away all hope of losing your virginity before college."
Eli rubbed his knuckles and looked at Yas.

"S-shit Yasmine's looking at us," he looked back down at his yellow tray, fiddling with his thumbs. "Probably just making fun of me." He looked back up wanting to be comforted by his boyfriend but he knew the rules that he established.

"I don't think she's making fun of you," Miguel leaned in closer to Eli, "I mean just because they're hot doesn't mean they're mean."
Demetri made a puzzled look at Miguel. His eyebrows cocked up and his eyes big.
The smaller boy noticed how Yas tried making eye contact and started talking. Sure, Eli couldn't hear her but it was enough for him to cover his lip quickly and dart his eyes around for something to keep his focus on.
Miguel had no idea what he was in for at this school.