06. interview III

"the best way to get along is never to forgive an enemy or forget a friend." - walter winchell
_____

"is this necessary?" yoongi asks, trying to make sense of why he was back in an interrogation room. he was slightly appalled when haneul showed up on his front door step, asking if he would come with her down to the station. he knew she meant no harm by it and wouldn't have asked unless it was completely necessary. but it's not like he had the best experiences being in a police station. but could you blame him? the man was charged with murdering his girlfriend and unborn fetus.

"you know i wouldn't have asked you to come down here unless i seriously needed help," haneul said, offering a small smile.

"what did you want to know?" yoongi asks, trying to be polite. i mean, the least he could do was go in for an interview. after all, haneul did free the man and risk her life for him.

"kim taehyung," she says, as if it was mainly obvious.

"what about him?" he asks, trying to comprehend where she was going with this.

"i know you may have been asked this before, but i'd like to try something different when asking this. it's called a cognitive interview, do you know what that is?" she asks him, trying to speak to him as if he was a mere friend and not someone being interrogated or a victim.

"no," he says, shaking his head.

"basically, i'm going to have you close your eyes and help you recall some memories that you may have hidden deep within your subconscious mind," haneul explains, dimming the lights within the interrogation room.

"sounds like fake magic," he scoffs, partially joking.

"it does, doesn't it?" haneul chuckles, sitting back in the seat and leaning back. yoongi stares at her skeptically, trying to allow the memories to ease in slowly. memories he tried so desperately to erase from a time he was at his lowest.

"close your eyes, and take a deep breath, okay?" haneul says, her voice lulling yoongi into a trance.

"on the day at the bar, what did it sound like? smell like? what was the taste on your lips like?" haneul says, her voice a distant echo within yoongi's mind. he takes a deep inhale before throwing himself back into that night.

yoongi was exhausted. he remembered that much. he remembers struggling to keep his eyes open, the last conversation with his girlfriend going through his mind.

"you're never here anymore," hyun-ae cried out, her eyes watering with tears that were threatening to spill.

"how would you know? neither are you! i'm home by 6pm every night and you're always out late," yoongi spat, getting tired of playing bad guy in her eyes.

"sorry i need a little me time to de stress when my boyfriend is out and about doing god knows what!" she shouts back, a defensive tone underlying her voice.

yoongi should've picked it up then, that she was hiding something, but the anger that coursed through his veins blinded him from the truth. or maybe, he just didn't want to face the music quite yet.

"then don't complain to me about being vacant if you need that much me time," yoongi says with a huff, grabbing his coat and heading for the door.

"where are you going?" she asks, trailing behind him.

"to the bar. i think i need some me time too," he says, slamming the door behind him, leaving no room for debate.

it's been getting worse and worse between them and yoongi couldn't figure out why for the life of him. his schedule never changed. he was home when he needed to be, giving her the same love he always had. so what changed?

"you look like you could use a drink," a voice piped up, breaking yoongi from his train of thoughts.

"yeah, or ya know, a sniper to end it. whatever comes first," yoongi scoffed, swirling around the ice in his empty cup.

"wife troubles?" the bartender asks, gathering a bottle with brown liquid that yoongi had yet to identify.

"something like that," yoongi shrugs, not one for small talk. even with strangers.

"yeah, me too. boyfriend is being kind of a douche to me," she sighs, pouring the alcohol into another cup.

"same here. must be something in the water," yoongi offers. he was so tired from working, but he was putting in the hours to get hyun-ae a ring. even now, despite the rough patch the two were going through, he wanted to marry her. he was so sure that she was the only one for him.

"it'll pass. i'm sure," the bartender smiles.

"okay, wait. this bartender? what did she look like?" haneul asked, the question burning on her mind ever since yoongi brought her up.

"she was short, maybe 5'2? 5'1? long brown hair that she tied back. she had tannish skin, like she had been laying in the sun all day," yoongi said, his eyes still shut as he tried to recall the image of the women who was somewhat blurry before, but now becoming clearer as he was determined to help his friend with her new case.

haneul's eyes slightly widened, pulling out two separate files.

"yoongi, this is important. did she look like any one of these women?" haneul asked, opening the manila files that had two driver license photos that were enlarged and paper clipped to the top of the folder. yoongi opened his eyes, blinking twice to adjust to the harsh lighting within the room. his eyes trailed down from haneul's stern face to the two photos that sat before him.

well, i'll be damned, yoongi thought as he picked up the left file.

"is that her?" haneul asked, her heart thumping against her chest.

"no, it's the other girl. but i know this woman," yoongi said, his voice shaky as he recalled the memories of all the times this girl sat on his couch, chatting up his girlfriend.

"how?" haneul asked, thrown off by yoongi's odd reminiscent behavior.

"this was hyun-ae's best friend," yoongi muttered, dropping the photo back on the silver table, tears in his eyes. haneul picked up the file with disbelief.

because there, in the file, sat sunny's photo.
kim taehyung's ex lover.

___

AUTHORS NOTE:

DUN DUN DUNNNNNN

surprise shawtyyyyy. another update. i am determined to finish this story if it kills me.

did anyone suspect that twist? who is the other woman? and how is everything connected?

guess y'all will just have to wait for the next update 👀

(unedited and not proofread)