CHAPTER 2 - CURTAINS

I could not tell you what the film is about. I haven't been able to pay attention since I found his glittering eyes in the crowd.

For an hour at least, we trade simmering glances, shy smiles and heated gazes. When his large face enters the screen, I look to him, eyebrows raised. In response, he rolls his eyes and cowers behind his hands in faux embarrassment. Before an exciting scene, he points vigorously towards the picture and I drag my eyes slowly to watch the explosion with faux amusement.

Before long, the game grows tiresome. He tips his head towards the door with a smile.

I'm unsure of what he means until he gets up from his seat; it's so sudden. There's a small flash of light as he enters the hallway, the only indication that I didn't imagine the interaction entirely.

My heart picks up speed. He can't be serious. He wants me to go with him, to go out into the hallway. Alone. With him.

My chest pounds, blood rushing in my ears, my cheeks heating. I shouldn't be considering this. I shouldn't. And yet... I want to.

There isn't a moment of my life that isn't planned out for me. Not a second. I got permission to come to this movie tonight. It was my idea, sure, but I still needed approval. It was allowed. I promised I wouldn't be out past 10pm and that our driver would escort us and I'd stay with Peggy the entire time.

But I'm not a child anymore. That idea alone sparks something in me.

If I were to step out into the hallway, just for a minute or two... who would know?

And if I happened to run into a certain handsome stranger then that would be perfectly acceptable. I couldn't be blamed for making polite conversation in a well-lit theatre while on the way to the powder room. If I were to lose track of time entirely, miss the rest of the movie... it would be an honest mistake, wouldn't it?

Mind made up, I lean towards my friend.

"Peggy," I whisper breathlessly in her ear. "I'm stepping out. I need some air."

Her short bob swishes as she turns towards me. "Are you alright?"

"Yes, just... a little lightheaded." I motion towards her fifth cigarette. "The smoke." She nods, understanding, and holds it further from me. She's lucky we're hidden so high up in my father's box; onlookers would never approve of such a beautiful young lady smoking in public. An obscenity.

"Don't disappear," she warns, throwing a wicked smile my way before shifting her attention back to the screen.

I stand, smoothing a hand over my pinned-back hair. Before exiting the box, I reach into my clutch for the tube of bright red lipstick, nervously applying a soft coat. Stepping out into the hallway, I wince at the bright lights. As my eyes adjust, I take a deep breath of air, smoothing my skirt and rolling my shoulders.

Wait.

What am I doing?

My pulse skyrockets as I turn back.

Everything I know about the world is a game of power. Every relationship is conditional and transactional. Money in exchange for love and power. It's how I was raised. I see it in everything.

He lured me out here to get something from me. I don't know what he wants, but he wants something. And I can't give in to him. I can't—

"Hi," he offers.

"Hi."

Even from across the hall I can tell he towers over me. His eyes are bright green, invigorating and alive. His smile lights up, his grin warm and inviting, like I can trust him. His hands in his pockets are a casual contrast to his sharp black tuxedo.