CHAPTER 7 - EL

* Niall's POV *

I had just turned 18 when I was drafted into the second World War. My father was a naval admiral, and his father before him, and with wartime upon us I knew it was only a matter of time before I served.

It's been more than a decade, but I remember the day that I left like it was only moments ago. Dad was proud, giving me a firm handshake and a salute. Mom shed some polite tears for her eldest son, but kept her composure for the most part. And beside them, our closest friends, the Banks family. Tucked into my mother's side was the girl who would one day be my fiancée. Although, I didn't know it at the time.

Elwin Banks.

Bright, ruddy cheeks and soft blonde curls. The bursting sound of her sobs bounced around the train platform. Even at 11 years old, she commanded the attention of every person in the room. That day, even a blubbery mess, she had every stony-faced soldier nearly tearing up at the sight of her.

"Are you going to miss me, Ellie?" I joked, kneeling in front of her trembling form.

"Don't call me that," she sniffled. "It's a baby name."

"Alright, fine. El." Somehow, even through the crying, she managed to have a temper. I remember smiling at the irritation that flared in her weepy eyes at the mention of her dreaded nickname. I called her Ellie most days to get a rise out of her, Ellie-belle when she was acting particularly bratty and churlish.

"Promise me you won't die." Her quiet request rung in my ears endlessly.

"You know I can't promise you that."

"You have to!" She sniffled angrily. "You have to promise me. Even if it's a lie. I don't like you very much, but I don't want you dead."

I didn't want to lie to her, but I couldn't break her heart any more than I knew I already had. So, instead I held her close to me, held her tightly as big hiccupping sobs wove out of her. I left without saying another word. I wouldn't promise her something I knew I couldn't make good on.

From my seat on the train, I watched as her figure grew smaller and smaller, silent tears streaming down her cheeks.

I loved her. Even then. Although, it was a different sort of love; I held onto the image of her while in war, using it to tether me to reality, anchor me to home even while away at sea. And even in my darkest hours, I thought of her. Even in the ugly underbelly of war, I thought of the innocence of someone who couldn't hurt a thing.

I was never too close to danger, never on the front, my father made sure of it— in part with his money and in part with his station in the naval rank. But the fear was there all the same. The fear was everywhere. Everywhere except in my memories of her.

And now... things are so different.

The war changed me, her too. And she's older now. She isn't that little kid that constantly got underfoot. She's my fiancée, and I couldn't be happier. She's gorgeous and funny and smart and her family is rich beyond compare.

But I'm starting to get the idea that she doesn't feel the same way. And that's gonna be a problem.

Since we got engaged, she's been different, distant, colder. I'm certainly not helping the situation. At yesterday's VA benefit I was an asshole. But she's mine. And when you see some twinkly-eyed, candy-faced movie star clearly romancing your girl, you would feel angry too. And territorial.

She went and saw that damn movie too many times. It's embarrassing to see her moony stare, her shy smile directed at someone else. So, I was a dick.

And yes, I was drunk. I shouldn't be drinking. I know better than that. But I needed it to numb the silent, painful indifference of my date. I needed it to get through a night of pandering to rich campaign donors. Hell, most days I need it to wake up in the morning.

But with El, I just need time.

When we get married, El has plenty of time to forgive me and like me and love me.

I just have to wait it out. She'll come around.

She has to.

*

*

*

Finally, we get to see a bit more of Niall's character! I can't wait to see where his story goes! Thank you for all of your comments and votes! Keep commenting! I love hearing from you guys!