Outlet

Requested by @Shortyyy05

It came so sudden... your mental breakdown, that is.

To recap, for months you didn't know how to solve your problems. Every mistake and every bad situation you can across was internalized because of two reasons: you didn't know how to deal with it or you were too busy to focus on it for long. And at first, you were fine. You've pushed things aside before to deal with later. It was no big deal, but as time passed, the filing cabinet that was your emotions and inner turmoil was overflowing and soon to explode.

The last straw? You couldn't remember. All you knew was that the burden that weighed on your shoulders was thrown off with a single push. The force that somehow kept your head held high enough to barely look people in the eyes broke down. And it took you with it.

You hid yourself under the covers to get some sort of feeling of comfort. Maybe even someone's embrace simulated by threads that were the fabric. You needed something to remind you that you were fine—that "this, too, shall pass"... What a load of bullshit.

Who were you kidding? You weren't fine. You weren't "okay". There was only so much you could push aside and leave for later. And it hurt so much to point of numbness.

At this point, you were merely just existing. And for what? Why? What were you holding on to? What was the end goal?

"Hey... I've been calling you for a while."

How long had he been here?

You immediately rose from the covers and met Hawks's eyes. With a voice that hid your current state, you responded, "I didn't hear, sorry. What do you need?"

Yet Hawks didn't buy it. Instead, his wings dropped and he pushed through the door and rushed to your side. He reached for your cheeks, but hesitated before his hands reached your skin.

"What happened?" He asked as his hands shook as if he held himself back.

"I'm fine," you answered, but that didn't convince you either. You could see his expression wasn't buying the two simple words that told a transparent lie.

His hands reached for you cheeks again, but this time he had the courage to ask, "Can I touch you?"

You nodded and whispered a small, "Yes."

His hands found themselves at your cheeks immediately after your answer, and wiped the tears you weren't aware of. You tried wiping your face as you apologized for your current state, but he held your wrists and let them fall.

"It's okay to cry in front of me, you know that right? I won't think any less of you," he reassured. "I'd like it better if you cried than hold it in. It's better for you that way," he added softly.

He kissed your eyelids and hugged you as he tucked his chin in the curved of your neck. You did the same to him, and you felt relief wash over when your hands gripped at his shirt.

"Can you tell me if something happened?" Hawks asked as held you close to his body. His wings seemed tense, as if he was anticipating what could possibly spill from your lips.

You hesitated, unsure of whether your troubles were worth telling him about. If he would be annoyed or disappointed in you and how you dealt with yourself. You were afraid to hear what he had to say, but the comfort you felt in his arms made you feel safe. You hid yourself in his neck, like you were hiding from yourself as you spoke your truth. You told him how you had been feeling the past months, and how you handled the situation.

With each word you said, Hawks's wings fell as they released the tension from the anticipation he felt. You heard the sigh of relief he exhaled and his breath that tickled your ear.

"I'm sorry you felt that way... Thank you for telling me, My Feather. How are you feeling now?" He responded to your confession softly and carefully.

The heavy burden that was thrown off your shoulders previously was now picked up by Hawks and he shared that weight with you. The most uplifting part about it was that he didn't seem bothered at all. Never had you felt more loved and appreciated by someone like you did now with Hawks.

"Better," you responded as you removed yourself from his neck, but his hand slithered down to yours and brought it to his cheek.

"Good. One step at a time, okay?" He asked as he nuzzled into your hand. He got up and led you to the bed where he returned you to the sheets for that prior comfort. Only this time, he joined you and held your hand as he closed his eyes.