When It Rains

Requested by @illcrackurnuts

It happened again. Time after time you would tell Hawks to stop taking the hits for you because you can handle it. You aren't weak enough to crumble after a single hit, after all, you've trained all your life to be in this line of work. Instead of being helpful, it felt like he was completely disregarding your efforts to get where you are.

You gripped your hands into the tightest fists as you fought the need to grab Hawks by the collar and yell at him. You felt the guilt crawling behind your anger and it held you back from acting out. Instead, you stood beside the nurse that tended to the Hawks that sat on the back of the ambulance.

A painful looking bruise was beginning to form on his cheek and the slightest bit of guilt crept up your throat. The guilt was close to tipping the scales of your conscience but you remained strong. He chose to take the punch, and you've told him time and time again to knock it off. You don't owe him anything.

Hawks peeked over the nurse's shoulder at you and raised his eyebrows in sync with his wings. A single feather strayed from his wings and hovered in front of your face before wriggling at your nose to which you swatted away like a fly.

"Oh, hello, just finished up here. Thank you for all you've done for the community," the nurse said when they noticed you standing behind them. They gave a bright smile before bowing their head and walking away to check on other potential patients. You smiled at the nurse as they walked away then rolled your eyes as Hawks leaned to the side to catch your eye.

Maybe it was the greying sky that kept you so irritated this time around, but you couldn't just let him off with a verbal warning this time. Or maybe you should. The dull, grey sky was no picnic weather, but it definitely didn't help your mood. Normal days where the sun wasn't blinding nor hidden amongst puffy clouds didn't usually give life to your next impulsive action.

You grabbed him by his hair and tugged his face close. Upon closer inspection, the bruise looked horrific and an invisible hand tugged at your heart strings. Whether it be guilt or not, it didn't feel right to see the wound on his pretty little face now that you see it up close. You couldn't fight the glare that stared deep into Hawks's soul and he only gave a warm grin in response.

"Good work today," he greeted as his wings rose happily despite his locks gripped between your fingers.

"You ought to knock it off before you get really hurt. And don't think for a second that I 'appreciate' what you've done. This wound? You reap what you sow," you warned as you shoved him away and wiped your hands on your pants.

He didn't hide his distaste as you wiped your clean hands on your pants and made it known. "I don't expect a thank you, but I would appreciate being treated like a human."

You scoffed and countered, "At this point, you're no different than a punching bag."

No, shit, you didn't mean for it to come out that harsh. But it's too late.

Hawks's wings unfurled and flared like a bird puffing up to seem bigger in size. You can see, despite the bruise growing in size, his brows furrowing as he got angrier by the second. "I don't see why this bothers you so much," he retorted as he hopped off the ambulance and started walking away.

Little droplets fell from the sky in large intervals, but it was enough to send the bustling people scurrying off in different directions. Hawks didn't seem to mind the sprinkling as he didn't fasten his pace but stuffed his hands in his pockets. He bowed his head slightly at a passing officer and smiled at a rushing civilian who had their hand hovering above their head. Not like that was needed... at least not yet.

You weren't going to let Hawks off the hook that easily, so you followed him. Ignoring the droplets that began to grow in size. Bad weather wasn't going to stop you from confronting Hawks about his masochistic tendencies when it came to you.