10 | birthday surprise

"We have a birthday present for you, sis," Sirius announced and Del shot up, her wand in her hand in a second. She blinked, her vision adjusting as she realized that it was only Sirius, James, Remus and Peter. "Jeez, no need to hex us."

"What are you doing here?" she gaped. They had gotten into her room, for one, but they had also gotten into the Slytherin common room. "More importantly, how did you get in here?"

"She asks nothing in regards to what her present may be," Sirius commented, glancing back at his friends. He picked up a tshirt that rested on her floor and threw it at her, "Put some clothes on, would you? There are people here."

Del allowed the blanket to drop and James was the first to turn away followed a moment later by Remus and Peter. The latter which Remus had to force to turn away. "Up until a moment ago, I was alone," she pointed out as she slipped her shirt on. "Pass me my crutches would you?"

Sirius grabbed them and handed them to her. She forced herself up and addressed the other boys in the room, "You can turn around now."

The three boys turned in unison and Del had to fight down a laugh. "Care to enlighten me as to what you're doing in my room?" she asked as she made her way to her dresser.

"We have a solution to your problem," Peter piped up and Del raised an eyebrow as she watched them in her mirror.

"Me too," she replied, "You see, I have these four thorns in my side. They just won't shake off." She turned around to look at them, "Any suggestions?"

"Your other problem," Remus spoke up before gesturing to her crutches.

"You've figured out how to fix what, exactly?" she asked in confusion as she leaned back against her dresser for support.

"We figured out how to counter the effects of the jinx your mother placed on you," James explained and she turned to look at him.

"How?"

"You're just going to have to trust us on this one," Sirius suggested before reaching into his pocket and pulling out a phial. He held it out to her, "Here."

She took it and eyed it curiously, "What is it?"

"A potion."

"Thank you for that," she replied with a roll of her eyes. "I meant what's in it."

"Many things," he shrugged, "Just drink it."

Del looked down at the liquid before looking up at her brother, "'Skepticism is the highest duty and blind faith the one unpardonable sin.'"

Sirius rolled his eyes and allowed his hands to drop to his sides, "And who said that, might I ask?"

"Thomas Huxley," she answered, placing the phial on the dresser. "And he's right."

"What, does she just have a catalog of random quotes to fit any given situation in her head?" James inquired, looking around at his friends for an answer.

Del rolled her eyes, ignoring the boy's comment, "What's in it?"

"I don't know," Sirius replied, "Ask Moony."

She looked among the boys before pointing at Remus, "I take it, that's you?"

Remus huffed, "Yes, that's-" he shook his head, "It's just a basic counter-jinx potion with an extra ingredient or two." He reached into his own pocket and pulled another phial out. "This is the leftovers," he informed her before opening the phial and drinking it. "See? I'm fine."

She narrowed her eyes but picked up the phial anyway. She popped out the lid and eyed the liquid warily. After a moment, she lifted the phial to her mouth and downed it.