13 | christmas

Del had been reluctant the whole train ride. She had sent the letter to her parents saying she would be staying with Angela but that didn't stop her from having second thoughts.

Someone placed their hand over hers and she looked up to find that it was only James. She was tempted to pull away until she realized that there was a table there meaning Sirius, Remus and Peter couldn't see.

He adjusted his hand so that their fingers were interwoven and he sent her a comforting smile. He leaned forward slightly, his thumb brushing over her hand, "It's going to be okay."

She nodded in response but she wasn't entirely convinced.

Sirius was watching them both with narrowed eyes. He knew that the pair had grown surprisingly close over that past school year but he was still trying to figure out exactly how close they had gotten. Remus had told him that he was being dramatic but it was entirely possible that he was merely trying to placate the boy.

The first few days at the Potter's house had been both weird but welcoming for Del. Euphemia Potter had enveloped her in a hug and told her, "It's nice to finally meet you, Del. I've heard so much about you." It was odd to think about Sirius or James talking about her to the women.

"I have something for you," James informed the girl Christmas morning. She looked over at him in surprise. He crossed the hall to her and handed the wrapped present over, "It was technically supposed to be your birthday present but I never got the chance to give it to you."

She took it from him after a moment, "You really didn't have to get me anything."

"I know," he nodded. "But I wanted to."

"I know I can come off as a little self absorbed but a mirror?" she inquired.

He rolled his eyes, "Say my name."

"What?"

"Just do it."

She huffed before holding the mirror up, "James Potter." Del heard her own voice echo from James's pocket. He reached in and pulled out an identical mirror. When she looked back in her mirror, she no longer saw her reflection but saw James. "A two way mirror?"

He nodded, "I remembered you saying how bored you got when you were in your room alone." He held up the mirror, "I figured this way you could always have someone to talk to. Whether it be me or Sirius."

She smiled, "Thanks, Potter."

"What are you two party poopers doing up there?" Sirius inquired as he shouted up the stairs. "The presents are downstairs!"

Del rolled her eyes before tucking the mirror away in her jacket. James tucked his back in his pants before the two made their way down the stairs.

She had never seen so many presents in her entire life. The most she had ever gotten from her parents was books on Transfiguration so she could improve her spell work. And then there was the pocket watch.

Sirius watched her with a grin, "You go first."

She rolled her eyes but picked up a present anyway, "You're overly enthusiastic for someone else to open a present."

She had gotten quite a bit from the Potter's. She now had five new jumpers that weren't green or black and she also received a large sum of chocolate. She was under the impression that James had told his parents about her little problem.

Sirius had given her a penknife.

"What would I possibly need this for?" she had asked.

"To protect yourself."