Mr Brightside

The latest case had been rough

The latest case had been rough. A child had been abducted, the second in as many weeks. You had tried everything you could to find the eight-year-old, but were too late. You and Hotch had found the body. He just looked at you before moving away, presumably to ring JJ and tell her to inform the family.

'Are you ok, Princess?' Morgan had asked as he wrapped his hands around you back at the jet as you set off home, the air holding an icy ambiance as the it lay thick with sadness. Eight years old.

'Yeh, I'll be ok. I just don't like the cases with kids.' You mumble into his shoulder as he releases you from his grip, leaning back to look you in the eyes. He really was quickly turning into your best friend. 'It's like... it's like the adults don't really affect me, you know, but the kids always do.'

'I know sweetness, it's ok. They get to me too.' He comforted you as you sat together on the plane, your head on his shoulder as you both drifted off. He really was like your brother.

— — —

'Y/L/N, we're in DC.' Hotch woke you just as the pilot was preparing to land before moving on to Reid. Hotch always spoke to you so cold nowadays; like one day a switch had been turned and he went from laughing at your jokes, all be it in his subtle smirky way, to glaring you down whenever he saw you. It wasn't just you either- Hotch was being more distant with all the team, even more then usual, and seemed to victimise you and Morgan by making you both write up your reports again and again and always second-guessing your decisions. It was like one day Hotch went from trusting you to having a complete lack of faith. Almost like he hated you.

'How're you feeling?' Morgan asked you as you spread your arms out wide, stretching as you try to wake up properly.

'I'm ok.' You smile up at him as you move out of your seat to get your go-bag. The team departed the jet soon after it landed, heading into the office to sort through their things before going home. Hotch had already told the team that they could have the rest of the day off and could catch up on their paperwork tomorrow.

You had just gathered your stuff when you heard Hotch call from his office. 'Agent Y/L/N, can I see for you a minute.' No please. Arsehole.

That was another thing about Hotch lately- he always called you 'Agent'. He called every other team member by their last name, except Rossi who was always Dave, but he always strapped a title onto your name like he was trying to distance himself.

You simply shrug at the other team members before trailing up towards his office, closing the door behind you as he indicates for you to do so before telling you to sit down.

'What's this about?'

'I've got this for you.' He replies coldly before handing you a form.

'What is it?' You ask, trying to skim-read all the jargon but failing to do so quickly.