23. The Only Man in My Eyes

You know I love music
And every time I hear something hot
It makes me wanna move
It makes me wanna have fun
But it's something about
this joint right here
This joint right here
Its makes me wanna... Ooh!

Riya didn't look away, instead stared her down. Tahera could see the gears in the other woman's head turning, cooking up schemes that would be detrimental to her.

She gave her an uncharacteristically condescending side-glance. Riya could feel her blood boil instantly!

Tahera, what are you so haughty about? I can order your death right this moment if I wanted to!

Even though Tahera came to the party dressed in a killer outfit, Riya wasn't at all fazed because she knew there was a loser languishing underneath that beautiful shell. She was confident she could take down her with a flick of her finger.

Like Ruma, Riya had gotten used to the life of ease where everyone was ready to do her bidding and life was smooth sailing. She was thus understandably annoyed by Tahera's condescension. Therefore, it was only logical that she had to find ways to balance her internal annoyance!

Tahera was actually waiting for the other woman to make her first move. To be frank, she would have balked if Riya wasn't up to something. So, Riya, you'd better not disappoint...

After the candles were out and Tahseen sliced the cake, the celebration officially began. Taahir gave a short speech before asking everyone to return to their seat to enjoy the food.

They were finally not the center of attention. Almost instantly, Mrs. Haseena's smile turned into a frown as she stared at Tahera.

She didn't want to cause a scene previously because it would have reflected badly on the Rahman Family, but now that everyone's focus had shifted away from the host, she could finally speak her mind.

"Tahera, I don't disagree to you attending my grandson's birthday party but what is your intention making such a high-profile entrance?" Mrs. Haseena accused sternly. Everyone at the table, Taahir included, was caught by surprise.

Everyone but Rosa that is, she knew Haseena would eventually come for Tahera. Tahera though appeared to be the other exception. She looked at Haseena mildly, her countenance placid.

This was how she was when she was still married to Taahir. Clueless and tepid in her ways, it was this attitude that ruffled Mrs. Haseena's feathers then.

It gave Mrs. Haseena the impression that she would never live up to the Rahman family name. Everything Tahera did was only a half effort, she felt Tahera would never amount to anything so she'd disliked Tahera ever since and that hadn't changed.

Even now, when she came to her own son's birthday party, she didn't say a word to anyone, just allowing herself to be talked about and pointed at by everyone else.

Tahera replied softly, "I'm not sure I understand what Mrs. Haseena means by that."

There is always that unspeakable tension between women. Even though she didn't say anything overtly offensive, in fact, she was being perfectly respectful, Mrs. Haseena's blood pressure shot sky high.

"You don't understand?" She questioned with a jeer, "Don't think I can't see through your little game, you're here to intervene in Taahir's upcoming marriage. Let me get one thing straight, Taahir and Rosa are getting married soon so don't get any ideas. You are no longer a part of the Rahman Family and never will be one again, so you better behave yourself. Keep a lid on that enchantress act of yours!"