The Oak (enby story:D)

Wowie it's been a second. I needed to upload something, so I rewrote a short story I did a year ago for class (I got 100 on it somehow, the original is garbage lol (but honestly this prob isn't much better:/ but I think so)). So.. yeah! If you've read this story bc you know me offline, don't mention it, please. That'll be awkward.

Um, anywho I'm working on a gxg story and I have a lot of things planned, just give me a second, k? I have stories ~0~

Quick little backstory for this one: MC's name is Charlie and they move from their hometown due to an accident. Pronouns are they/them (tho it kinda is and kinda isn't a main focus of the story) and they're ten in this story, along with most of the other characters.

Enjoy if you can manage~~~

Warning! This one is a lil violent, a lil gory, and mentions trauma

~~~

Our car sped by the treeline, blurring the huge evergreens into one, continuous dark green blob of forest in the early, misty morning nature. The speed of our car and the rain on the window obscured any details that the pretty trees held. Well, not that I could see much of anything, due to the eye patch on my right eye.

The side of my head was pressed against the glass of the window, giving me a headache from the cold. A talk station was on the radio which filled the empty silence in the car, alongside thick tension that would take years to rid.

I hate staying still, I hate this situation, and I hate being in cars.

I took my head off the window just in time to see the sign of my new school. My mom took my subtle movement as an invitation for conversation.

"How are you feeling, sweetie? Is your eye bothering you?"

I quietly sighed before I readied my automatic response. It was the fastest way to get all of the adults to stop asking me that this past month. "I'm fine. Just a little headache. I'll live."

"Let me know if you need anything." Mom moved her eyes back on the road and took another sip of her coffee.

My head swiveled back to the window, absently admiring what I could see. But I barely got to zone out before the car came to a stop.

"This is your stop, Charlie. The school's ahead. Remember you're in room 726 with Ms. Ross, m'kay?"

I nodded, not bothering to hide my disappointment at all. I hate school for one reason and one reason only: bullies. Bullies. Bullies are the reason I missed the main purpose of the place. Bullies are the reason I missed joy and consistency in my life at the moment. Bullies are the reason I missed my right-

Ring!

My feet take me to room 726 in time for the bell. I hurry inside with other students in hopes of blending in. But how would a kid with an eyepatch and big, curly hair blend in?

Just keep a straight face, Charlie.

Most of the students were running around and talking to each other, so I took the opportunity to go up to the only adult in the room, Ms. Ross, I was hoping.

"Um, excuse me?" I called up,

She looked down at me, then my eye, and smiled. Her lips were heavily laced in lipstick and pity. Just like everyone else.

"You must be Charlie-Lynn! I'm so excited for you to be joining my fifth-grade class. You'll be sitting in the back in the middle seat." Ms. Ross pointed out the seat for me,

I hurried to the back of the classroom, everyone's staring fully at me now that the teacher was calling for them to quiet down. In the back, there were only two seats, and one of them was already taken by a boy wearing a sweater that I liked. He sniffled and rubbed his light brown eyes and I couldn't help but wonder why. I looked up again and everyone was still staring at me, so I tried to sink and disappear as much as I could into my desk.