Unicorns

*Iris' P.O.V*

My eyes flew open as I felt something heavy hit me in the stomach. I sat up abruptly, any idea of going back to sleep leaving my mind. "What the hell?" I asked, looking around. I knew my stomach was going to hurt from the amount of macaroni and cheese I had eaten last night so being hit in the stomach with something really heavy made the pain double. I had eaten way too much and stayed up most of the night from the pain until I passed out from exhaustion.

"Sorry, I tried to land it next to your side but it kind of hit you in the stomach," Selene said from the foot of my bed. She grabbed whatever she had thrown and showed it to me. It was a fantasy type book from the picture of the unicorn on the cover.

"Go away Selene, I am tired," I said as I pulled my blanket up around my shoulders and laid back down.

"No can do, you have to get up," she said as she pulled me back up into a sitting position. I glared at her and hit her with a pillow which she grabbed and put it down while staring at me sternly. "Get up," she stated as she got up, pulling me up with her.

"No, let me sleep," I whined with a pout on my lips. "Please," I begged as I looked at her with wide eyes.

"Nope, stop with the puppy dog eyes. It does not work on me, I use them too often with Opal and Nova when I am little," she informed me. I glanced at the book she was holding and then stared into her eyes.

"Okay, now why did you throw a book at me when I was sleeping?" I questioned her with a frown as I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I want you to come with me to check up on some unicorns," she said.

"Ha ha, so funny," I said with a frown. 'Just because they had magic does not mean unicorns exist, does it?' I pondered to myself. "Seriously why did you want me to see your book?" I questioned as I crossed my arms over my chest.

"I am serious, I promise you that," she said with a soft smile on her lips. "Come on, trust me and I will show you some real unicorns," she stated.

"Whatever. If I agree to come with you will you leave me alone so I can get dressed?" I questioned.

"Yeah," Selene nodded her head with a bright smile. "Get dressed then meet me outside your room at the end of the hall, Madame said you were probably still full from the macaroni and cheese she made you last night but if you're not then she will make you some breakfast," she informed me.

"I am still full and my stomach hurts especially because you hit me in the stomach with a really heavy book," I stated.

"Yeah, whatever," she said with a small smile. "See you in a moment," she said before leaving my room. I sighed as I pulled off the nightgown I had changed into, letting it fall down onto the floor. I stepped over to the wardrobe, opening it up. I found a lacy white dress with some rainbow undertones to it which looked really cute. I slipped it on quickly before I ran my fingers through my hair to smooth my hair out. I slipped on my flats before I left the room.

"Oh good, you are ready," Selene said as she grabbed my hand. "Follow me," she said as she practically dragged me behind her. I followed after her closely, staying right at her heels.

"You like to drag people around don't you?" I questioned with a small smile on my lips.

"Yeah, I do. I drag Opal and Nova around with me all the time and then when they get tired of it then I drag Ember and Adira around," Selene informed me as she led me outside. I blinked at how bright the sun was shining and shielded my eyes with my free hand.

"It's bright out here," I said with a frown on my lips. I kept my gaze on the ground as we walked through the grass which slowly started to get taller and taller until it brushed my knees. "Why is the grass so tall?" I questioned curiously.

"Unicorns like being able to run quickly and the grass only really slows us people down so we keep it tall to avoid people trying to kidnap the unicorns. People tend to fall and get trampled when they try to catch the unicorns," Selene shrugged. We left the walls of the castle through a small wooden door, so small that I had to duck down.

"Well that sounds sort of horrifying," I said with a small frown.

"Oh it is," Selene nodded as she led me to a wooden fenced in area that seemed to go on for miles. She opened the gate and I entered the field, her shutting the gate behind us. "You dressed like a unicorn too so maybe they'll like you more than they like Adira," she said with a small smile. She whistled softly and I was surprised when I heard hooves hitting the ground before a group of unicorns crested the hill.

"You were not lying about unicorns existing," I said as I stared at the rainbow maned creatures as one cautiously approached us.

"Nope, I certainly did not," she said as the unicorn pawed the ground in front of it while staring at her. It's horn glistened in the light before it turned its head to look at me.

"Why are they not at the stables with the horses?" I questioned her curiously.

"Unicorns are very territorial and that's why this herd is kept out in a large field away from the castle," she explained as the unicorn approached me, sniffing me before it rested its head on my shoulder. I reached up and gently stroked its head being very careful of the horn. "That is Celestial, the lead mare of the herd. She is normally not this friendly with strangers so clearly there is something special about you," she informed me, making me smile softly.