Chapter 21: Calm Before the Storm

The kiss was simple and soft. It lasted only for a few seconds, but just long enough for him to kiss you back. Unfortunately, before either of you could respond to the kiss, John opened the door, rushing in quickly and almost running into the two of you in the process.

"Oh sorry!" John quickly apologized as the confusion died down. Sherlock cleared his throat and you could feel the blood rushing to your face as John eyed the two of you. He opened his mouth and looked ready to question what was happening before he arrived, but before he could ask questions you weren't ready to answer you quickly excused yourself.

"I should probably go, see you tomorrow." You rushed down the hall to your flat before any more could be said by either John or Sherlock. You felt their stares burning through the back of your head. As quickly as you could you raced into your flat and shut the door behind you and began freaking out.

You just kissed Sherlock freaking Holmes, and if you remembered correctly he had kissed you back. Or did he? It was Sherlock after all and he wasn't good with relationships of any kind and you didn't even know if he had been in a romantic relationship before. You buried your face in your hands unsure of what you should do next. Talk? Apologize? It had been a while since you dated and even then the same rules didn't apply with Sherlock. Sure, you dated Moriarty but he had feigned normalcy and emotions in the beginning.

Before you could get too deep in your thoughts there was a light knock at the door. You swung around and opened the door and just as you had hoped, Sherlock stood on the other side.

"I-" You began to say something but Sherlock immediately cut you off with a kiss. He cupped your face in his hands as yours instinctively wrapped around the back of his neck. This kiss was not the same as the one you two shared moments ago. This one wasn't a quick impulsive move, but one that was filled with all the longing, desire, and frustrations from the last few weeks. You moved your hands down the sides of Sherlock's neck and grabbed the already unbuttoned collar of his shirt and pulled him closer to you.  You never wanted to let him go.

You weren't sure how long the kiss lasted, but it wasn't long enough. When Sherlock pulled away he ran a hand through your hair and rested his forehead against yours. 

"(Y/n)..." His voice was soft and quiet which made it feel even more like you two were the only ones that existed. Unfortunately for you, nosey psychopathic ex's do. You didn't respond to Sherlock because honestly, what would you say? Instead, you closed your eyes and tried to store this memory with as much detail as you could. The warmth of his breath, the feeling of his slightly calloused fingers gliding across your skin, all of it. 

Eventually, he pulled away and you had to resist the urge to grab the collar of his shirt again and pull him back to you. 

"So that was- that was nice." You honestly didn't know what you would say, but that could've been worse. You met Sherlock's gaze and could tell he was trying to read your body language, something he knows to try and handle this painfully unfamiliar situation. You did your own deducing and decided that Sherlock was mostly concerned with your emotions to then maybe decide his own on the matter. "Sherlock?" You didn't know what else to say but needed to break the silence and get the conversation started. "Was that your first kiss?"

"No." He stated rather flatly.

"Oh." Now it was weird because as far as you knew-

"The one in the hall was." He had a slight grin as he spoke. You had to take a second to comprehend what was happening. You just made out with Sherlock Holmes and now he cracked a joke? He cleared his throat before continuing. "What I mean to say is that I have never wanted to kiss someone. Frankly, I have never experienced the emotions I have been before I met you. Not even the Woman could evoke such feelings because she isn't you, (y/n)." His words made you want to kiss him again, but you found it too important not to talk.