Chapter III: There's nothing quite like love.

The next morning Sister woke me up. She pulled me into my mother's room for a briefing.

"Listen Sophie, we got a tip that Renaldo will be attending a ball Saturday (tomorrow) and he might be making a deal at that ball. So you are going to this ball and you are going to intercept this deal. There's a dress I had made for you in your closet....Oh, and take a date."

"Who?" I asked.
Typically when my mom makes me take a date, it's someone of high popularity in the area, like a politician's son.

"You can take whoever you want Sophie." She said with a sigh as she began to read her newspaper.

"Really?" I got a little exited

"I wouldn't be too exited, you have to choose between Louis, or that boy you brought in last night."

"Mom! You've met Whitey, Cora died for him." I said really annoyed that she didn't even bother to learn his name. Saying Cora's name out loud stung like an ice pick to the chest.

"Whatever, Sophie I'm gonna say this nicely. Get Out!"

My mom has always had anger issues, she doesn't think that people need emotions and she doesn't think that I am worth her time. Sad as it is, I've gotten used to this treatment. As I was leaving Sister stopped me.
"Hey kid! You best be careful with Louis"

"Why?"

"He's really dependent on you."

"Okay?"

"That's dangerous. He doesn't have a mom right?"

"Yeah"

"So the fact that you're a strong willed girl is probably why he's so fond of you." She said raising her brows

"But, I'm not-I haven't been- I don't understand"

"It means in a relationship he's gonna give you a lot of power. That's not the best thing to do, because it puts a lot of pressure on you. You got a teach him that he needs some of that power too."

"Okay? Sister, your talking about him like he's a horse." I said confused

"Look just watch it, that boy can be really codependent"

"Okay" I said and I walked out.

I was obviously gonna take Louis to the ball, right?
Yes, yes, I was going to take Louis, f*ck Whitey and his games.
I opened Louis's door and saw Louis laying down asleep on his bed.

I smiled and ran towards his bed at full speed. I jumped on it making Louis bounce, waking him up.

"Top of morning" I said smiling

He smiled and put his hand over his face
"You're so mean to me" he said laughing.

"You love it" I said matter of factly.

"You aren't wrong" he said whilst rubbing the sleep off of his eyes.
"What time is it?" He asked

"Quarter passed six o'clock." I said smiling.

"And why, pray tell, did you wake me up this early?"

"I needed to ask you something."

"What it is darling"
Huh, him calling me darling was different from when Whitey called me it. Whitey's southern accent was adorable and made me feel warm inside. Louis's accent was British and honestly felt more hot than cute.

"Renaldo is making a deal at a ball and I have to go, to intercept it, my mom said I have to bring a date"

"So I'm just a game to you? Someone you can just wake up at six in the morning to go with you places?" He said jokingly.
"I'm so...hurt!" He said as he laughed but pretended he was crying.