CHAPTER III: Newspaper Clippings

“So what do you think happened?” Dean asked thickly around a mouthful of burger. “Back at Fredbear’s or whatever?”

“I’ll answer your question once you chew and swallow with your mouth closed.” Jay chided, arching an eyebrow as she sat back against the seat.

Dean hesitated, then pressed his lips together, working his jaw and keeping his eyes on his plate until he’d gulped the bite, washing it down with a swig of beer. Smacking his lips, he looked back up at Jay expectantly. “Happy?”

“Relatively.” Jay huffed, steepling her fingers over the tabletop. “Anyway, my thought is that Mike is correct in his thinking that whatever happened back in the 60’s is causing repercussions that are being carried out even today.” She narrowed her eyes in thought, pausing to take a sip of Coca-Cola. It was the only thing she’d ordered. “But what? A death, most likely. A violent one. “But whose? And why?”

“That’s what the library is for,” Dean smirked, and Jay nodded, fighting an urge to roll her eyes heavenwards at the blatancy.

“Either way, some bad mojo’s going down in that place,” Dean said, shaking his head grimly. “I mean, did you look at those animatronics? Talk about creepy. And their eyes, just…”

“Yeah.” Jay agreed, sniffing with disdain. “But anyhow, once you finish up there, we can go.” She told Dean with a gesture towards his plate.

“Alright. You sure you’re not gonna eat anything?” He asked, raising what was left of his burger in one hand. “It was your idea.”

“Yeah, actually, I’m not really that hungry.” Jay assured him, idly tapping out a rhythm on her soda glass with a fingernail. “I need to think, and I can’t eat when I’m first starting out a case because of it. Digestion slows me down.”

Dean blinked in surprised confusion, tilting his head to the side. “Okay. We all have our methods.”

“Are you finished?” She asked, raising her eyes to his face.

Stuffing the last couple bites of burger into his mouth, Dean nodded and chugged the bottom dregs of his beer. “Yep. Let’s go.”

*

The library was only a couple of miles away, but a car accident was slowing traffic significantly, so it took the two of them a bit longer to arrive than Jay felt necessary. She was on edge, but she knew that it wasn’t the case – she’d faced creepier. It was rather the cooperation with Dean that was making her uneasy. Last time, when Sam was with them, Jay had felt more comfortable; but why his presence was necessary for her contentment was outside her understanding. Either way, she didn’t know how she felt about sitting alone with Dean for 6 hours a night for the next week.

In the Impala, in front of Jay’s El Camino, Dean was thinking something of the same nature – but in his mind, he was wondering if maybe one of these late nights would end with a little bit of getting to know each other more intimately. He smirked at the thought, glancing into the rearview mirror. In her car, Jay had both of her hands clasped onto the wheel, staring straight forward with no expression on her face. That was, until she somehow managed to catch his eyes; then her sculpted red lips arched into a sarcastic smile as she waggled her fingers at him, thumbs still hooked around the wheel. She was certainly unlike any other woman Dean had ever met – she was strange, but Dean couldn’t figure out yet if it was a good, unique, intellectual kind of strange or an I-collect-my-toenail-clippings kind of bad strange. But either way, she was hot. In a sexy, Sherlock Holmes-y sort of way.

When they finally cleared the roadway, congested with curious rubberneckers, and reached the library, Dean parked as close to the building as he could, then waited, leaning against the hood of his car until Jay pulled in beside him. “Let’s go,” he said with a gesture of his hands toward the glass double-doors.