CHAPTER IX: Overview

Those next few hours were the most restful of Dean's entire life. He was practically asleep before he even made it into his room. Once there, he collapsed ungracefully onto the bed and crashed, hard. Falling rapidly into an incredibly deep (and blissfully dreamless) sleep, all he cared about was the softness and coldness of the pillow beneath his face. But somewhere at the back of his mind, thoughts of Jay stayed hidden as he left the conscious world.

But as soon as Jay had closed the car door, she was swiftly dialing the number of Mike Schmidt whilst starting her car and pulling away with a screech of tires. The phone rang three times before it was picked up.

"Um, hello?" Came Mike's tired voice. "Who is this?"

"It's Lou," Jay said, sighing slightly. "I'm one of the night guards you hired a few days ago?"

"Oh! Oh." Mike said. She heard him yawn.

"I'm sorry if I've awoken you," Jay apologized quickly, glancing in her mirror at the blazing wreckage of the building. The piercing orange light stung her eyes.

"No, no, it isn't a problem..." Mike brushed it off with a small, tired laugh. "I-is there something wrong?"

"You could say that." Jay had pulled into another parking lot a good, safe distance away, where she could still see the burning building. With a faint, distant crash, the roof collapsed, sending up another powerful bloom of flame. Every minute, Jay was expecting the animatronics to come staggering out the doors, consumed with fire, raging and murderous. But they never did. "I'm in a parking lot across the street from the restaurant. The place is... Well, it's in even worse shape than it was before." Her tone was cold and clipped, as if to combat the raging heat of the fires across the street. "You're going to want to reconsider re-opening."

Mike had come out as quickly as he could. He was less shocked by the burning building than Jay had expected him to be. He stared at the flames as they licked at the ever-brightening sky, then turned to Jay with a strange expression in his eyes.

"I'll have to file a report. And you two will be fired for... Well, I'm not completely sure yet. Probably... Tampering with the animatronics." He said gravely.

Jay was working on a disappointed face when Mike shrugged slightly. "You're off the hook, you and Ian," he said. "And... Thank you."

*

When Jay reached her own room, the first thing she did was send a text to Dean reading Congratulations, we've been fired. Talk later. Without even a glance towards the bed, she went straight to the desk, where her laptop sat, screen dark, whirring sleepily. Tapping the space bar to awaken the computer as she sat down, Jay quickly typed in her password, sitting back slightly when she was greeted by an internet forum page dedicated to the story behind Freddy Fazbear's. It discussed all of the different deaths that had occurred there, from the murder of Robby Whitlow, which started it all; followed by the five children who were led into a back room and never seen again; but another incident kept on the down-low was the two employees that were killed as well.

It was these two deaths specifically that Jay had been reading up on, because they didn't fit the pattern. They were killed by animatronics, rather than the mystery killer from the 60's, and they were both adults, rather than children.

In earlier days of the restaurant, the Fazbear franchise had invested in a couple of new characters. No one could remember their actual names, but they were referred to as the "Golden" characters. One resembled Freddy, but the other seemed more modeled after Bonny. There was a picture from the early 70's of the two of them, side by side. Beside it was a transcript claiming to be from an old training cassette. Jay wondered if it was another recording like Phone Guy's – but unfortunately there was no audio.